Active Now

Danilo_G
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » History » What's your favorite historic battle?

What's your favorite historic battle?

Posted - August 6, 2017

Responses

• "Bobby Fischer vs. Boris Spassky"
     1972 World Chess Championship

(Nobody died)
      August 6, 2017 7:11 AM MDT

• Interesting. :)
      August 7, 2017 3:59 AM MDT

• It was a pretty famous battle, in the newspapers and everything, especially in the Chess World.
    A battle where nobody died, but Bobby Fischer did disappear after he won the championship.
    Hollywood made a cute little movie about it ... sorta, called "Searching For Bobby Fischer." This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 7, 2017 5:17 AM MDT
      August 7, 2017 5:13 AM MDT

i dont like any of them
      August 6, 2017 5:40 PM MDT

• I have several that span the centuries. The Battle of Hastings in 1066 and Bosworth Field. Both involved the participation and death of kings. Yorktown,Va in 1781, where American independence was secured. Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg, Confederate victories in the American Civil War. The battle of the Somme in World War I, the Battle of the Bulge in World War II to name a few.
      August 6, 2017 6:09 PM MDT

• A true history buff.. :)
      August 7, 2017 4:00 AM MDT

Possibly the Battle of Kadesh. In my time though, the Battle of Stalingrad. Many people were convinced the Axis had set themselves an impossible task when their forces invaded Russia. After Stalingrad, almost everyone knew the Axis was destined to fall. The factor most favouring the invading German army had been Stalin's purge of top military men, including those in the armament industries, in the 1930s. Had that not happened Russia would have looked a very different proposition to Hitler, have been in much better shape militarily, and the invasion may never have happened - the entire war may have taken a turn for the worse for the Allies. It could therefore be argued that Stalin's murderous excesses lead to the downfall of the Third Reich.    
      January 15, 2018 8:24 AM MST