Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Google offered $30 BILLION to acquire Snapchat. What the he** is that?

Google offered $30 BILLION to acquire Snapchat. What the he** is that?

Posted - August 6, 2017

Responses

i think its like facebook
      August 6, 2017 3:43 PM MDT

I thought more like Twitter, but it's not something I'd use anyway. What worries me is that in time, the entire Internet will be run as a monopoly by Microsoft and Google, perhaps one or two more, acting as a cartel if not actually linked as businesses.
      August 6, 2017 5:37 PM MDT

Aren't there laws against monopolies Durdle? Where does Amazon fit into that nightmare scenario you mention? Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday!  :)
      August 7, 2017 3:09 AM MDT

I think there are laws governing monopolies, but I don't know what they are, and I would not know American law anyway.

Amazon would fit in simply by being a part of it all, but whilst the businesses of Google, Amazon and Microsoft may seem very different, put them together and you can envisage an arrangement by which the two Internet software companies subtly steer advertising and Internet shopping Amazon's way, to benefit no-one but that unholy trinity.

August 8, 2017 3:12 PM MDT

Sounds very dark and dire Durdle. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      August 9, 2017 3:59 AM MDT

I don't use it and have never used it, but from what I gather, it's photo-based chat with auto-delete. In order to send a message, you have to send a photo and the message deletes itself within a pre-determined number of minutes or maybe even seconds. I know my son and his girlfriend used to use it a lot because he'd be walking around the house taking odd photos of things. One time, the microwave. Another, his feet. lol So, it's big with teens. It's also popular for sexters, for obvious reasons. 
      August 6, 2017 6:00 PM MDT

Thank you for your informative reply JA. I appreciate it. I don't get the addiction/obsession so many folks have with cell phones. It's very scary. Happy Monday! :)
      August 7, 2017 3:10 AM MDT