Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Any hint of road rage inside you? What makes you mad on the road?

Any hint of road rage inside you? What makes you mad on the road?

I admit it.  I suffer from a fair share of road rage.  Pull out in front of me when there is no one behind and then go below the speed limit when I need to get somewhere, I will feel my blood boil.  I don't act on my rage, but I am not a happy camper.  

What does it for you?

Posted - July 22, 2016

Responses

And for God's sake, put down the damn cell phone.  You drive like a drunk when you are on one.

July 22, 2016 10:06 AM MDT

• naw... none at all. never have experienced that kind of anger. i am more astounded to watch everyone careening around, hitting each other, displaying their own road-rage, and not following safer habits during bad weather and road conditions. i'm relieved to back home and off the roads.

July 22, 2016 10:08 AM MDT

Knowing I'm going to have to open the door when I arrive at my destination.  The latch is broken, have to roll down the window and open it from the outside.  Try that when it is raining.   Grrrrrrr

July 22, 2016 10:09 AM MDT

• Road rage? No.

Road fear? Yes.

When another driver does something that causes me to swerve or break in order to avoid an accident, I get that sudden hyper-alertness switching on, time slows down, sense perceptions speed up, and my stomach lurches.

Then I think to myself, that person's overtired, in a panicked rush, sick, senile, puerile, mad, drunk or on drugs. I'd better be bloody careful to keep out of their way the best I can. And I gradually ease away a bit further.

I did come across a nice bit of road rage in Mayfair, London, UK. A Rolls Royce was parked diagonally in a parallel parking zone, obstructing a whole lane of traffic. Someone had written a note and placed it under the windscreen wiper. It read, "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits. You park like a camel herder."

July 22, 2016 10:15 AM MDT

Oh yes. I'm like a whole different person in the driver's seat. People who would tailgate, change lanes or take a turn without signaling, drive recklessly - all of these people make me steaming mad.
      July 22, 2016 10:17 AM MDT

I don't enraged...I get annoyed. My philosophy is that every driver within a mile from me is out to get me. I am a very defensive driver.

July 22, 2016 10:35 AM MDT

I think it all depends where you live too.  I know if I am away from urban areas, there is no stress.  

Glad you don't experience this.  :)

July 22, 2016 11:35 AM MDT

Hahahaha.  Sounds like my first car.  I really can relate.  

July 22, 2016 11:35 AM MDT

Road fear...oh yes!  I-95 is a road we travel to visit my husband's family and I can tell you, I am white knuckled with a foot on an imaginary break the entire stretch.  It's 6 lanes of traffic in some spots with merging on the right and on the left!  Insanity.  I admire anyone that can drive it with a cool head.

That is hilarious with the Rolls Royce.  They are lucky someone didn't do something more destructive to it.  If that was NY city, I think someone would have set it on fire.  LOL

July 22, 2016 11:38 AM MDT

I am not proud on my rage.  It's something I am very cognizant of and do all I can to not tailgate or land on a horn because I am pissed.  But all bets are off if someone's stupidity nearly gets me killed.  That is just a rush of adrenaline, envisioning my life play back before me.  

July 22, 2016 11:43 AM MDT

I am too.  I do watch all that is around me, knowing someone is going to be stupid at any moment.

July 22, 2016 11:44 AM MDT

No, not a bit of it....;-D...

And, for an alternative view on the subject....;-D...

July 22, 2016 11:44 AM MDT

I solved it.  My horn does not work and I have not had it fixed.  I cannot yell without YELLING, so that cuts it down by 75 percent.  I've learned to adjust and not fight about it.  Unless I get really mad.  Then you have to deal with me stopping and getting out of the car and getting up in your face.  And yes, that has happened a few times.

July 22, 2016 11:50 AM MDT

Awww...I like "Grandpa's Advice".  Cute song.  I think I am secretly envious of the old folks that don't give a hoot about getting somewhere in a hurry.  Can't blame them for not wanting to rush anything at that point in their lives.  ;)

July 22, 2016 11:50 AM MDT

July 22, 2016 12:11 PM MDT

There you have it!  My horn has gotten a work out, so if mine goes, I may be smacking it a few times.  I do know that someone like me would be very foolish to ever get out of their car in a rage situation.  Most of society is a bit larger than me, so I would look foolish out there.  

July 22, 2016 12:22 PM MDT

• true. i'm glad i don't live on the island. i won't even go out there during holidays, do to gridlock. i guess it was there i first felt the temptation to feel road-rage, but i just pulled off the road, popped open my cooler, and listened to my iPod. it took a while, but once the way was clear, i got home and now only go on weekdays or low-traffic weekends.

July 22, 2016 1:07 PM MDT

July 22, 2016 3:48 PM MDT

People texting while driving
    Especially the signal changed
    And she's still texting
    While horns are beeping. my horn doesn't work either so I'm yelling
    Out the window "WAKE UP"
    ... Really need to fix that horn
    Haha getting horse
      July 22, 2016 4:15 PM MDT

• Did you know that one of the latest crimes is to do exactly that

with the intention that you will get out of your car to abuse them?

When you do, one bashes you up with a baseball bat and leaves you wounded and unconscious or dead

while the other steals your car.

Several episodes, one per day, have occurred like that in Melbourne recently,

and the crime has spread and is going viral.

July 22, 2016 5:33 PM MDT

Not much at all.  Who reaches Exit 246 first is just not important. 

July 22, 2016 7:08 PM MDT

Awful!  No, I haven't heard of that specific scenario, but I have heard of criminals rear ending you on purpose to do much the same.  Very scary.

July 24, 2016 1:50 PM MDT

The texters will definitely get up my ire, more because I know they have the potential to do lethal things with their cars to innocent drivers and pedestrians.  

July 24, 2016 1:51 PM MDT

I know it.  I never understood the ones that will suddenly jump three lanes right in front of you to get off their exit.  I am amazed they seem to have no fear doing it.  I know I have hit my breaks hard a few times with some near misses.  

July 24, 2016 1:53 PM MDT