Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » I have to ask a soul searching question.. do you have Rhubarb crumble over there :P

I have to ask a soul searching question.. do you have Rhubarb crumble over there :P

Or is it only us Brits who eat a sour tasting mush with a crumbly topping? 

Rhubarb crumble

Posted - August 6, 2017

Responses

• "I've never heard of it" ...  but there are plenty of recipes online for it from US sites.
                                           (Strawberry/Rhubarb pie is my favorite fruit pie)

August 6, 2017 3:50 PM MDT

LOL I am sure adding strawberries is cheating.. you have to experience the full sourness of the rhubarb to be authentic :P 
      August 6, 2017 3:57 PM MDT

• You caught me!! I'm a wimp.
      August 6, 2017 4:01 PM MDT

Well I have a confession.. .as I was eating it.. I thought.. what the dickens we we eat this stuff for?  I only made it because someone gave me the rhubarb. 
      August 6, 2017 4:03 PM MDT

• Maybe it's kinda like the quince tree that I had in my yard a long time ago.
    I never had to worry about the neighborhood kids stealing the fruit!!  :)

I've never grown rhubarb, so I don't know how hardy it is, but my ancestry is English and my Mother was always fixing rhubarb or strawberry/rhubarb pie. Maybe it's inexpensive compared to other vegetables ... don't know.
      August 6, 2017 4:13 PM MDT

Yes, that could be it.. very inexpensive.. you plant it and it lives for ages and ages... years.. and you can cut it often and it grows more stalks.. so very inexpensive.. one of the first things to fruit if that's the correct term as it's not strictly speaking a fruit. 
      August 6, 2017 4:37 PM MDT

never heard of it either.
    But have had Rhubarb pie,
    tooo sour for me.
      August 6, 2017 3:52 PM MDT

The secret is you put in half a ton of sugar in the rhubarb.  Some people do that while it's cooking, others do that when the rhubarb gets put into the dish.. Then there's another half a ton of sugar in the crumble topping oh and more sugar in the custard.. All very healthy :P  

I made two rhubarb crumbles this evening and I just wondered - it seems so natural to make it, I wonder if we are the only ones. 
      August 6, 2017 3:56 PM MDT

so you all are
    liking the sugar?
      August 6, 2017 5:00 PM MDT

No, but I got a job at a bakery because i kneaded dough. 
      August 6, 2017 4:06 PM MDT

•   August 6, 2017 4:15 PM MDT

Trust you to cash in with a joke like that..... !!!   Are you on the pay Roll there now Because you're short of Bread ?

hehe 
      August 6, 2017 4:30 PM MDT

• Bred for the job, I'm thinkin'.  :)
      August 6, 2017 4:36 PM MDT

Strangely I bought some rhubarb this afternoon.......I love all sour fruits and eat nothing thats ripe and over sweet..... 
    is that your Dog Jack.... .?
      August 6, 2017 5:08 PM MDT

HAHAHAHA not quite, Im too busy  reading a book about anti-gravity... I just can't put it down. ;+
      August 6, 2017 5:26 PM MDT

I bet that must have be quite a lifting experience to get to grips with.....myself I'm stuck on reading a book about glue...  I just can't seem to put it down...:)
      August 6, 2017 6:25 PM MDT

August 6, 2017 4:46 PM MDT

August 6, 2017 5:29 PM MDT

I love rhubarb anything.  I swear, it is the best.   I just had some yogurt that had strawberry/rhubarb swirled through it and it was thick, like Greek style.  Oh man.  I was enchanted.

I love strawberry/rhubarb pie, cobbler, just anything with a crust or ice cream even.

The end. 

Yes.   We grow both rhubarb and strawberry here and of course, can manage the crumble part as well.

I think this one's pumpkin, but I didn't have any rhubarb one's saved. 

Ok I made up for it.

Look at these wonderful BARS.  Oh god.

Pure, unadulterated heaven.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 6, 2017 5:54 PM MDT
      August 6, 2017 4:27 PM MDT

Jokes about German sausage... Are the wurst Shar to the ROna, arent they?
      August 6, 2017 5:33 PM MDT

Not any more as I gobbled it all up quickly as I don't like to share it.....:)
      August 6, 2017 4:35 PM MDT

Hmm... Something like it, I think. We used to grow rhubarb in our garden when I was growing up- my whole family did. My grandma used to mostly do rhubarb pie, but my mom would make coffee cake- looks similar to your photo. It would be covered in brown sugar.
      August 6, 2017 5:55 PM MDT

That looks like what we call dump cakes here. I have made several with different fruits. But I have never used rhubarb.

via GIPHY

August 8, 2017 11:22 AM MDT