Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » Is the line "could have got so high" in the Revivalists' "Wish I Knew You" a drug reference?

Is the line "could have got so high" in the Revivalists' "Wish I Knew You" a drug reference?

I always thought of it as being a reference to happiness or being on a cloud, not drugs, but I was listening to it on the radio today and the station replaced that line. O_o

Posted - August 8, 2017

Responses

not sure but it could probably mean anything
      August 8, 2017 2:59 PM MDT

Well, in the youtube-comments someone ask if it is about weed :) So you radio host is not the only person seeing it like that. But remember that guy who got famous by claiming the purple teletubby was gay ? Anything may fall prey to such a zealous immorality search.

Personally I did not find anything drug-related in it.
      August 8, 2017 3:29 PM MDT

But somehow I never heard any moral complaints about this one:
      August 8, 2017 3:32 PM MDT

I didn't look through the comments on YouTube. lol There's almost nothing beneficial there ever. :o 

Good point about the Teletubby thing. lol And, the song as well. 

I think I'm hearing it on two different stations and one censors it and the other doesn't. It really messes with me because they dub a line from a different part of the song over the top of it, so it says "I wish I knew you when I was young. We could share my mood." lol It makes no sense. Anywho, thanks for giving it a listen and for your insights. 
      August 8, 2017 4:08 PM MDT

• Wow!
    I love this song.
    Umm...I think it's more about meeting your soulmate later in life and thinking about how exciting it would've been if you had met when you were young and I do think there's a slight reference to getting high and enjoying life, but it's a stretch to think it's all about drugs.
    Great song though. : )
      August 8, 2017 3:43 PM MDT

Exactly! This is one of my favorite new songs. I tried looking for the "meaning" behind it and the writer says just that- he wrote it thinking about his girlfriend- about how awesome it would have been if they'd had another 10 years together. The video kind of reiterates that feeling. I was just dumbfounded when I was singing along to the radio today and I realized the station censored it. I know I have a pretty strong pair of rose-colored glasses, but I didn't think I was that out of it to miss a blatant drug reference. 
      August 8, 2017 4:12 PM MDT

There's a lot of songs out there about drugs that people think are about something else. "Under the Bridge" by the RHCP is about heroin. Then there are songs you think are about drugs but they're not. "The Drugs Don't Work" (they just make you worse) by The Verve was about chemotherapy, and not about heroin or crack  like most people thought. 
      August 8, 2017 4:50 PM MDT