Discussion » Questions » Relationships » whats the best way to get involved with people if you never have anyone to hang out with?

whats the best way to get involved with people if you never have anyone to hang out with?

Ive lived in the same place about 5 1/2 yrs and wondered if i should move away, I never have anyone to have so much as a cup of coffee with, literally, if i go to church noone will invite me over for lunch or anything, or to do anything with them, ive been going to this one church friday nights and after church i know people go out together to eat or whatever but im never invited, and ive been going there 1 1/2 yrs, as much as i like the church i wish they would show an interest in spending time with me, places where i lived before i used to go out with friends all the time and wondered if i should move back sometimes, thought of doing stuff like the big sister program but i heard you gotta have a job and i dont have one, nursing homes, i heard where i live they dont let you visit people, thought of visiting people that dont have visitors either to kind of fill each others needs. im out of work so its not like i can hang out with coworkers, any suggestions? tired of living my life like some monk

Posted - August 11, 2017

Responses

You could try doing the inviting.
      August 11, 2017 7:06 PM MDT

you have a point, ive thought of that but it makes me feel like they wouldnt want to come if they never ask me
      August 12, 2017 10:22 AM MDT

Just reverse the situation, they may well be thinking that you are standoffish and at the end of the day, you have nothing to lose by offering.
      August 12, 2017 11:56 AM MDT

thats true
      August 12, 2017 11:58 AM MDT

• It seems unlikely a nursing home would not allow visitors.  Have you looked into volunteering? 
      August 11, 2017 7:53 PM MDT

i thought about it but i gotta be careful cause i have a bad knee and cant do too much walking
      August 12, 2017 10:22 AM MDT

• Your church vicar or pastor might know of others in the parish who could do with a little company. Perhaps you should ask him, and he can suggest a couple of people. 
      August 12, 2017 11:15 AM MDT