Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Does fidelity in a relationship always pay?

Does fidelity in a relationship always pay?

Don't you think being virtuous and faithful to only one person over long periods results in frustration at having wasted precious time if the relationship eventually sours and breaks down? 

Posted - August 12, 2017

Responses

It pays as much as you value your morals. If you're going to be with other people, then you shouldn't be entering into "monogamous" relationships. There are plenty of men and women who are ok with open relationships. I don't ever regret being faithful. 
      August 12, 2017 1:14 AM MDT

• It's not only one's personal morals that matter. There are social expectations to live up to as well. These can vary widely across the globe as I'm sure you're aware. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 12, 2017 10:00 AM MDT
      August 12, 2017 1:23 AM MDT

In my experience people just expect fidelity no matter how many times you warn them about yourself. And I don't agree with that terminology.  Most of us really need monogamy (which I understand as a strong continuing primary relationship) whether or not we are sexually faithful. 
      August 13, 2017 8:14 AM MDT

I do think such an attitude is self-defeating. A relationship is only as good as the good you both derive from it.  So if you are not enjoying at least some things about it then seems sensible you would not want to be in it. Guess I said that awkwardly. Has to be something there holding you together besides cultural expectations. 

OK know I may not have had the greatest morals from the point of view of some who post here but I will say that the only boyfriend I was ever completely sexually faithful with treated me like crap. 
      August 13, 2017 8:08 AM MDT

i dont think so
      August 14, 2017 4:29 PM MDT