Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Do you wonder or think you know what Brits think about the American war of Independence? Here's some info.

Do you wonder or think you know what Brits think about the American war of Independence? Here's some info.

I know there's a question in that but I felt it was more akin to a statement - or provision of info which will hopefully be received with interest. DO bear in mind this is a general view, as in generalising - you will always find people of a differing view on any subject but general means most. 

So, I have had many an American raise the question of whether Brits feel somehow aggrieved or regretful about the American war of independence - that America gained its freedom.  The answer is, honestly, no. Not at all - we are happy for you, we smile and think it's a little odd/quaint when Americans over here celebrate July 4th - sometimes we join in.. well if there's a free picnic or party going on we're in!

But beyond that we really never think about it.. simply we don't care.  Truly, it just never crosses our minds. We aren't taught about it in school and to be honest the only time I have ever had it come up in a conversation is when an American makes some kind of statement to the effect that we must feel sore about it. Truly no, if we feel anything on the matter we feel benign and we are generally speaking happy for Americans, we think you SHOULD be independent..Everyone should.. 

So, the fact is most of us don't even know about the American war of independence, let alone worry about it of have any reason to feel bitter about it. The reasons I say this repeatedly include; 
1) it was a very long time ago...
2) to us it was a very small blip of a happening on a very, very long history full of events, wars, invasions (as in we have been invaded a good number of times) etc..
3) in line with the above - we, as a nation had many, many a war ... this is but one of many - it's just not that important to us  and our history
4) It was also a VERY small part of what was happening for us at the time... This could also be part of why we lost.. we had so much going on.. 
5) our resources were stretched.. as we were involved in many countries at that time... and when you think about it... all this from what is a MINUTE little piddling Island.. from that point of view it's pretty impressive 
6) we won some we lost some.. it's how it was.. we cannot hold it against everyone - this is the way of the world..No one wins them all need I say more?

America was founded by Brits in the main.. many are descended from British stock.. so in effect, when people blame Brit-land they are blaming their own forefathers... Other nations also settled in America.. and perhaps the mix altered things substantially but, and this is perhaps just personal opinion, but I see it as teenagers, we give birth to them, we raise them, we care for them, ok we sometimes do things they don't like and eventually they rebel and want to go their own way.. why should we resent America's independence - I see it as a natural step.. It was always going to happen, arguably rightly so. 

I have some links which I will add below:- 
https://americanrevolutionblog.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/why-did-british-lose-american.html

What do Brits think abiut the American war if independence 

commented, “The events of the War of 1812 have not been forgotten in England for they have never been known there.” In the 20th, another Canadian historian remarked that the War of 1812 is “an episode in history that makes everybody happy, because everybody interprets it differently...the English are happiest of all, because they don’t even know it happened.”

This subject always touches on the Brit Empire - I don't want to go into that but it IS relevant.. in that a) it too was a long time ago, b) MOST of Europe were doing exactly the same, often more brutally c) we didn't just invade/fight and steal..we stole or exploited WITH the co-operation of the leaders within that country d) we DID give much back  in terms of what we brought to the country, such as schools etc- I've heard it said other invaders were way less generous on that front to say the least e) we were TRADERS - it may have been unethical and exploitative but traders none the less. f) we are generally speaking NOT at all proud of the empire days... truly it's not something we cling on to although we are aware of it, g) For the most part we gave and negotiated back independence - simply we reached the stage where yes, we KNEW it was unethical and exploitation..you will ALWAYS find a Brit or several at the heart of trying to argue the case for returning independence of any state - SOME truly didn't want to go.. but it remains the right thing to do. Furthermore it's important to know that at that time, which was a VERY long time ago and it's vital to know that MOST of the people of the UK were little more than slaves themselves.. We had NO say in the running of the country.. most men, let alone women didn't have a vote. Most of us worked for gentry, aristocrats and rich people... many were domestic servants, many worked in factories - there was no education for the poor and no medical care. SO I am saying that for most of us, it wasn't OUR ancestors and we, as a people had NO say in what happened. We were often soldiers or navy... but again there was no say.

Posted - August 13, 2017

Responses

Interesting read, as that is something about which I've wondered. The film "1776", based on a musical, is a very funny and entertaining telling of what happened that year in the Continental Congress, specifically the drafting of the Declaration of Independence. I highly recommend it if you're interested in the subject.

The following is an exchange in the film between John Dickinson, a delegate from Pennsylvania who opposed independence, and the famous Dr. Benjamin Franklin, and it gives the logic in a nutshell:

"John Dickinson: Fortunately, the people maintain a higher regard for their mother country.

Dr. Benjamin Franklin: Higher, certainly, than she feels for them. Never was such a valuable possession so stupidly and recklessly managed, than this entire continent by the British crown. Our industry discouraged, our resources pillaged... worst of all our very character stifled. We've spawned a new race here, Mr. Dickinson. Rougher, simpler; more violent, more enterprising; less refined. We're a new nationality. We require a new nation."

But not to be forgotten in the evolution and growth of the US is the influence of France and the Louisiana Purchase during Thomas Jefferson's presidency - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Purchase
    The land acquired resulted in the founding of 15 of our present 50 states plus two Canadian provinces. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at August 13, 2017 9:23 AM MDT
      August 13, 2017 9:15 AM MDT

It is all very interesting.. I got interested in it when an American friend expressed shock that I knew nothing about it and that we don't teach it in school.  The lines from the film do seem to sum things up nicely... The British do seem to have mismanaged and been very naive and short-sighted.  However, that being accepted... I do think that it was inevitable that at some stage America would have wanted and deserved their independence.. to me it's just like our kids..at some stage they have to fly off and lead their own live as they choose. 
      August 13, 2017 9:27 AM MDT

Didn't bother to read your missives beyond the actual "question", just too much droning on; but I've had several Brits tell me that Imperial Britain was far more worried about raping South Africa of its gold and diamonds and squeezing all the tea it could out of India to be much bothered about there mostly valueless holdings (at least Britain considered them to be valueless at the time) in the central part of North America. 
      August 13, 2017 3:53 PM MDT

Aww didums.. did we find all those big words a bit too much for you?  As usual you got so much incorrect there it would take a month of SUndays to correct.. but as usual too you wouldn't accept facts anyway.. SO there's little point..  All I can say is.. if ever you leave one of these charmingly naive vague attempts at insults on another of my posts and I fail to see it.. please feel free to remember that I probably didn't see it. 
    On this one.. yes we have caused environmental destruction in the past... Funny thing is.. in this, as usual you seem to sidestep or really not know (???) that AMerica IS still doing this.. try researching!! 

https://www.opendemocracy.net/transformation/florence-goddard/inside-miners-fight-against-silicosis
    https://www.nytimes.com/1985/08/23/opinion/l-the-us-business-role-in-south-africa-211084.html

RE squeezing all the tea out of India... lol was that an attempt at humour??? Seriously??? That's so unbelievably ridiculous I won't even bother trying to correct you on that one!  Erm you ARE aware that Tea is a plant and that it is not something that will run out!  As usual oversimplified half, or less understanding of a basic issue..

August 14, 2017 1:03 PM MDT

Big words to you have more than five letters, I see. (And not a bit of that "famous" British civility in your tone either, Hmmm.)

But nope, nothing incorrect about what I said. I only related things that other well-educated Brits told me in the past, almost verbatim. Go back an re-read what I wrote if you missed that. If you have issue with that you need to take it up with them, not me. Or you can stop denying Britain's true history; that works too. This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at August 19, 2017 3:11 PM MDT
      August 14, 2017 1:33 PM MDT

Oh you really are a funny guy aren't you.. well either that or deluded :P Civility is reserved for those who deserve it.  And see this is the level of the problem.. YOU complain about there being too many words, then when I remark upon it you seek to turn it around to claim I have a problem with big words.. lol illogical or what? That's my main difficulty with you.. illogic, when I never could stand and over-simplistic thinking.. You are clearly intelligent.. well given the company you keep, but you seem to misunderstand.. you try to make it all simple in your mind I think and in doing so, while you think you understand, you completely miss many vital and relevant qualifiers.. 
    But let's leave that aside and look at just one thing you said...   you tried, (clearly a failed attempt at manipulation there) to claim I have a problem with words of more than 5 letters..   So let's look at my previous response and compare it to a) your claim that I have difficulty with words of more than 5 letters and b) compare it to your own responses.. I used 30 or words that were of 5 letters or more... You used around 14... In my current response, so far I have used more than 30 words of more than 5 letters. SO the point is.. you are clearly incorrect.. and look quite silly to boot.. 
    I have never denied Brit history.. we DID things, I am the first to admit that..environmentally and during the war..  I note that you don't reciprocate, let's face it killing 200 thousand by nuking Japan is hardly a tea party. Nor do you acknowledge that your country are STILL and actively damaging, raping and exploiting other countries! You don't accept or even seem to note the wars and crimes committed in the name of war by your own country.. At least ours were longer much longer ago!  We have clearly learned.. you clearly haven't!  Given the calibre of some of the people and their misunderstanding and over-simplistic thinking.. it's hardly surprising.  just explained and qualified it.. I can see now that you are incapable of undertaking the assimilation of information that is more complex than, 'Oh, yes I agree with you.' 

I'd be happy to discuss and debate with fellow Brits about the American war of independence. which WAS after all the subject of this statement.. but I think, as with the glaring errors you made re words of 5 letters or more.. you have simply misunderstood these lovely well-educated Brits. 
      August 19, 2017 3:33 PM MDT

Pretty much agree with it been a non event in British history, something that matters not one iota to us.
    What's interesting is it was populated initially with mostly those that were unwanted or ill fitting in there own countries.Whether that was unusual religions or just simply people that didn't fit in standard society.
    Which in lots ways still shows itself enough today.
    And yes salt and pepper from my understanding too we were far more intrested in things that were physically there already to take from Africa India the East etc than to have to go and find it ourselves. Which seems pretty sensible really at the time.
    Why dig a hole for gold when someone's already dug one around the corner.

August 14, 2017 12:32 AM MDT