Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Are your thought patterns logical so that when you speak everyone understands your intention?

Are your thought patterns logical so that when you speak everyone understands your intention?

Or are your thoughts free-form, template-free, coming through as stream-of-consciousness all jumbled together so that some or many folks haven't a clue about you or what you've said? I suppose for those who think in logical sequence it is very difficult to understand someone whose thoughts come from everywhere all at once and fight for expression. I don't know why people are wired as they are. Intellectually or emotionally or morally. We do the best we can I expect and maybe it's a miracle that any of us understand any of us. Whatcha think?

Posted - August 15, 2017

Responses

I think you've summarized it well. 
    I know I tend to be a free-floating communicator at times -- but when I write I try to be more cohesive.
    But either written or spoken, I try to remember that there are most likely always people who process/communicate in different ways than I do and being aware of that helps me stay on track -- especially in more formal settings.

And my sense of humor tends to come through most of the time -- and humor often can alleviate a lot of communication challenges. At least, I've found that to be true for me.
    :)

UPDATE: I'm not saying, though, to try to make everything funny. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 15, 2017 9:19 AM MDT
      August 15, 2017 7:28 AM MDT

I've found that some folks stay right with me wherever I go WQ while others have a hard time keeping up. I don't mean intellectually. I mean I go from one thing to another sometimes having no connection and other times being very connected. Most of my long-time pals understand that. Some never quite get it but it isn't their fault. It just is. Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful reply and Happy Tuesday to you! :)
      August 15, 2017 7:42 AM MDT

Your sence of humor comes shining through indeed. THats what made me fall in love with you WelbyQuentin. ;)))
      August 15, 2017 7:44 AM MDT

Hey, thanks, carbonproduct!
    :)
      August 15, 2017 8:58 AM MDT

My pleasure WelbyQuentin. ;))
      August 15, 2017 9:03 AM MDT

The purpose of written communication is to make sense to your audience.

If I have been reading you for a decade and I don't understand you, then I think the onus is on you.

I'm pretty good at understanding people. 

And yes, I make blunders every day.
      August 15, 2017 9:01 AM MDT

I wish i could make sense like you do SHar to the Rona. ;P
      August 15, 2017 9:05 AM MDT