Active Now

Spunky
Pet Eater
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Are you phobic?

Are you phobic?

Posted - August 15, 2017

Responses

A little yes, .. I am prone to it... I HATE needles, injections, taking blood etc...  I am scared to pieces of wasps, moths and especially daddy long-legs aka craneflies..  I am seriously not fond of spiders either.. 

Most of these things I have sorta learned to deal with to some extent.. like I tolerate and even like, (as long as they don't move) one particular species of spider, I have had to give injections and had to take my own blood but still really scream the place down if a cranefly comes into the house, which is nuts because they are completely harmless AND i am a huge advocate of biodiversity and would never harm one. 
      August 15, 2017 2:49 PM MDT

I can understand the needles, but crane flies?  How about two of them?

(And i thought being scared of clouds was wimpy. ) Thank you Adaydreambeliever my Friend. ;)) lol
      August 15, 2017 3:23 PM MDT

LOL I just hate them! I mean I love them as a creature, they are very ancient, so that's mega cool.. and I love that they exist.. I just cannot bear them near me!  I completely flip if they come indoors.. I even have a screen door, (bear in mind they are not usual in the UK) that I insist has to be shut in daddy long legs season.. They are harmless and I wouldn't hurt them.. but someone has to catch them and get them out of the house as I couldn't rest with one in the house. 
    I don't really like anything that flies near me... when I was very young and just married we kept a few birds in a cage, tiny little waxbills... one day one got out of the cage and was flying around. i screamed and screamed... which was ridiculous as it was TINY and by rights it should be way more scared of me than I of it!  
      August 15, 2017 3:36 PM MDT

Interesting. On this side of the pond a daddy (or granddaddy) long-legs (also known as a harvestman) is a spider with really long legs (relatively speaking) attached to a small body (about the same diameter as a pencil eraser).

Must be that "two nations divided by a common language" thing?
      August 15, 2017 3:32 PM MDT

And it gets more complicated than that! We do have a daddy long legs spider here... and funny enough that's the species I have come to actually tolerate and love.. I protect them inside my house... love them.. as long as they don't move much.. I love them because they are so delicate, don't move much AND they eat other species of spider, including my most hated false widow spider..  
    BUT here, a harvestman is an entirely different thing.. it's not even a spider at all but looks a bit like one.. I adore harvest-men. 
    This is what we call a harvestman here and, as I say not a spider
    Image result for harvestman uk species

And here's a daddy long legs spider - as you can see completely different... both cool 

Daddy long legsRelated image

This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at August 15, 2017 7:47 PM MDT
      August 15, 2017 3:44 PM MDT

Well slap me and call me Shirley.

Not being an arachnologist I just followed the common lore that those little buggars were spiders. After all, it's obvious that they have eight legs. I even have a few "pet" ones that hang around my office.

Anyhow I now find out that while they are arachnids they just miss being spiders. Eight legs, yes. But the two part bodies aren't there, nor are the eight eyes.

Who knew?
      August 15, 2017 7:11 PM MDT

I've already told you to please stay away from me with your questions!

August 15, 2017 2:55 PM MDT

No.
    Heres another one for you my love.

Q: What do you get from a pampered cow?
    A: Spoiled milk

;D
      August 15, 2017 3:28 PM MDT

OOps, I thought you were Shar to the ROna LyricalOne, thats why i called you my love. Sorry dude. ;+
      August 15, 2017 3:29 PM MDT

Lol.... didn't know you two were an item.
      August 15, 2017 3:46 PM MDT

We sure are....;))

August 15, 2017 7:52 PM MDT

I'm pro-biotic.   I get off on bacteria.  Especially a good looker.

August 15, 2017 3:05 PM MDT

Well Orange you the Fungi around here tonight.......

August 15, 2017 3:33 PM MDT

Phobic---having an extreme aversion to something.

Yes, I had no choice in the matter---I have been socialized.
      August 15, 2017 3:54 PM MDT

I wish i had a phobia like that. Thank you tom jackson. ;)))
      August 15, 2017 8:07 PM MDT

Yes, I'm eremophobic.
      August 15, 2017 7:21 PM MDT

A morbid dread of being alone? How does morbid play into this?
      August 15, 2017 7:37 PM MDT

• I am definitely claustrophobic and slightly acrophobic. I would say I'm arachnophobic, but the arachnids have to be of a decent size before they scare the crap out of me. I used to be emetophobic, but I've been desensitized after a few drunken experiences.  
      August 15, 2017 7:26 PM MDT

I suggest that you NOT visit Australia. These guys are useful and totally harmless to humans, but they're massive - they can kill mice

August 15, 2017 7:30 PM MDT

• I've heard about Australia's really bad spiders. That's one reason I don't think I could live there.

I've seen some awful ones in the Sierras. Once saw a big fat one at least 3 inches in diameter at our lake house. Horrifying. 
      August 15, 2017 7:32 PM MDT

If they are harmless to humans then bring um on. Id carry one around the house on my head like a pet. No problem.
      August 15, 2017 8:10 PM MDT

I had a pet one when I was a teenager, she lived on the bedroom wall. My brothers and I used to catch cockroaches to feed her.
      August 15, 2017 8:25 PM MDT

Wow Nevan B,  I  am claustrophobic, moderate to severely  acrophobic too. I cant get on a step ladders lower step without feeling my butt hole twitch in fear.  ;P
      August 15, 2017 7:42 PM MDT