Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How come at a time of life when I thought I would have more free time and be surrounded by luxury, I am working harder than ever?

How come at a time of life when I thought I would have more free time and be surrounded by luxury, I am working harder than ever?

Not complaining  - I have so much to be thankful for,  I know that.. but I wonder why, when they promised us that by the time we grew up that we'd all be replaced by robots..and we would have to learn how to use much more leisure time..  So how come we are all still slogging our guts out, working harder than ever for seemingly less and less reward..  

Posted - August 15, 2017

Responses

Because the "they" that made promises,
    lied to us. :-(

August 15, 2017 3:38 PM MDT

My son said that to me too today... he seemed to think I was silly to have believed them! But, but, but.. i was young and very innocent then.. the world was a big adventure playground where I could do or be whatever I wanted.. I still believe that but lol some twist of fate has decided I should work more than anyone should work for very little pay :P
      August 15, 2017 3:50 PM MDT

August 15, 2017 3:40 PM MDT

*They* were teachers... and the tv programmes.. There was one in particular called Tomorrows world..where they showed cutting edge science and tech.. and told us how the future would be .. with driverless cars and no work to do :P  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/tomorrowsworld/

August 15, 2017 3:54 PM MDT

There were other "theys" more modest in their predictions but our attention tends to focus on best case scenarios. Guess that's not necessarily a bad thing.   ;-)
      August 15, 2017 3:58 PM MDT

Be patient, the 'thays' are programming the 'us' now and will be available soon to do the work of the 'thems'.
      August 15, 2017 3:45 PM MDT

Lol oooh you cynical thing you.. The *theys* were lovely wholesome people who we all trusted completely :P
      August 15, 2017 3:55 PM MDT

I know, as I grew up tomorrow's world was my favorite tv program, closely followed by with Top of the Pops.
      August 16, 2017 2:42 AM MDT

Ahh Top of the Pops.. we all watched it religiously.  We all thought it was the coolest programme ever... WHY did we not ever think that some of the presenters were really naff? Ahem...especially Jimmy Saville 
      August 17, 2017 9:48 AM MDT

I never liked that man, not that I thought him a bad man, I just did not like his style, another was Simon Dee, he was like death warmed up.
      August 17, 2017 3:11 PM MDT

I never liked him either.. but I cannot pretend that I knew he was *dodgy* I just thought he was weird and in a way I thought was just naff. How about Noel Edmonds? I didn't mind him on other shows but not sure he was really tendy enough for TOTP... In fact now I think of it.. it's hard to think of any of the presenters that were cool?
      August 17, 2017 3:22 PM MDT

I watched it mainly in the 60 and the only ones I can remember are Alan freeman, Simon Dee, Pete Murry, David Jacobs and Savile, so you know you are right, completely naff. Thank you for killing the 60s for me. 
      August 17, 2017 3:41 PM MDT

LOL you are most welcome :P  But anyway.. the music was good! It was just the presenters - they could have chosen better :P
      August 17, 2017 3:58 PM MDT

Agreed.
      August 17, 2017 7:10 PM MDT

Quote from a book that I read 53 years ago.  (It was required reading for the whole freshman class.)

"The greater your intelligence and the readier your 'fellow feelings,' the more likely you are to see things worthy of your active concern compared to those less gifted; and will be inclined to take on too many responsibilities."

Perhaps that is part of your problem---it is a very accurate observation."
      August 15, 2017 3:50 PM MDT

That's a lovely answer... and maybe, yes.. I actually work a little less than I used to now, in that I used to have two jobs and worked 7 days a week. So in some ways working twice a day but not weekends is a luxury.. but it always was that if anyone were off sick I would cover.. and I would always help people out..  
      August 15, 2017 3:58 PM MDT

God wants everyone to work until they croak.  You are on the right path.  
      August 15, 2017 11:27 PM MDT

• "Resting your hopes on fortune tellers can be risky."

August 27, 2017 5:30 AM MDT