Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Would you feel badly for someone who was supposed to live a privileged life and inherit a million dollars but instead...

Would you feel badly for someone who was supposed to live a privileged life and inherit a million dollars but instead...

because of greedy relatives and dishonest bankers and lawyers, had to make their own way in life and ended up inheriting a few hundred thousand?  Or would you tell them to be happy with what they got?

Posted - August 18, 2017

Responses

I would struggle to have too much sympathy.. but I would try.. because I know that it's all relative.. just because I cannot imagine being left £1 doesn't mean that someone whose whole life had hinged upon the expectation that they inherit a fair amount would not find it devastating to not get that... It's probably a different world to the one I am used to.. not for me to judge.. I would certainly not tell them to be happy.. I think that would outrage them and be insensitive.. 
      August 18, 2017 2:50 PM MDT

Huh?   I don't think I would tell them anything at all.  Why would they care what I told them?

August 18, 2017 3:11 PM MDT

Id care. ;P
      August 18, 2017 5:12 PM MDT

Yeah, but you are you and you are not him.  Or them. 
      August 18, 2017 10:43 PM MDT

• I dont care about them .... I want a million dollars! ME! MINE!  I wanna buy fancy ketchup and lamas and stuff 

https://youtu.be/LHacDYj8KZM

August 18, 2017 3:38 PM MDT

Depending on many unknowns at this time and if I felt like I could be successful for my client, I might consider filing a lawsuit on his or her behalf if that is what they wanted.  Otherwise, it's none of my business.
    Dishonest bankers and lawyers got my attention. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at August 18, 2017 5:11 PM MDT
      August 18, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

I don't know if I'd feel too badly, to be honest. It's not exactly a "loss" in my eyes to inherit a few hundred thousand bucks instead of a million. It's all more money than that person had before. But I also don't think I'd voice any sort of opinion or advice to them at all. Not my business!
      August 18, 2017 3:56 PM MDT

A couple hundred thousand huh? Id tell them to lend me some money. ;+ This post was edited by carbonproduct at August 18, 2017 5:33 PM MDT
      August 18, 2017 5:10 PM MDT

Seriously!
      August 18, 2017 5:31 PM MDT