Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Did one of your parents ever cheat on the other, and was forgiven?

Did one of your parents ever cheat on the other, and was forgiven?

Posted - July 23, 2016

Responses

No, never.

July 23, 2016 1:23 PM MDT

This is a difficult question to answer, given my family history.

My mother has been married twice and divorced twice. Her first marriage was the result of getting pregnant while still in high school, a union for which neither of them was mature enough to carry out. As unprepared as they were, it was doomed to fail, which it did within a couple of years. Both accused the other of infidelity, which, along with a myriad of other problems, contributed to the breakup. There is the possibility that the two of them slept together for a few weeks or months after that, but that's pure speculation. I was born a few years later, but also a few years before she met the man who eventually became her second husband. Besides those two men, she has had male partners, one of whom is my biological father. Their record of encounters may have been limited to the single instance in which the passage of seed that resulted in me, I do not know. If so, the issues of fidelity and forgiveness may not apply.

To sum up, I do not know whether or not my mother was faithful in her first marriage, but I have every reason to believe that she was during her second one. I do not know if her first husband was faithful, but I doubt that he was. I believe my stepfather was faithful to my mother. There appears to have been little or no forgiveness to infidelity in that first marriage, if it did take place.
    ~
      July 23, 2016 1:46 PM MDT

Yes. The parent was forgiven after an affair with the other's best friend, but not for many years after the ensuing divorce and they both ended up married other people.
      July 23, 2016 1:51 PM MDT

I think we really are siblings. O_o

July 23, 2016 3:26 PM MDT

My mom has been married five times. I have a feeling infidelity was an issue in each, though possibly not during the first or last. In her marriage with my father, I don't think it was ever forgiven. That was the catalyst for divorce, though there were other issues as well. The infidelity turned into a very ugly divorce, so those issues lingered on for years. 

July 23, 2016 3:31 PM MDT

See? I tried to tell you.
    ~
      July 23, 2016 6:12 PM MDT

Which one of the five was your pa?
    ~
      July 23, 2016 6:14 PM MDT

July 23, 2016 6:29 PM MDT

• Thank you, Randy, for your very honest and open answer. You're a man of guts, I must say. I doubt if I were in your shoes I would've had the courage.

Is your mother alive?
    Have you ever met your biological father?

July 23, 2016 7:54 PM MDT

• Thank you, Mr Inquisitive.

July 23, 2016 7:55 PM MDT

• Thank you, Just Asking. 

July 23, 2016 7:56 PM MDT

My parents?

Why?  No one cheated.  My parents were divorced and re-married each other.    That was strange enough.

July 23, 2016 7:57 PM MDT

• Thank you, bamagirlie.

July 23, 2016 8:00 PM MDT

Why does Randy have guts?  This is a normal story.  ????   What does guts have to do with it.  What did he reveal that was so "gutsy"?

Now Just Asking?  That was gutsy. 

July 23, 2016 8:00 PM MDT

• Thank you, Munchkin

July 23, 2016 8:01 PM MDT

• Thank you, DJAM-RONA.

July 23, 2016 8:03 PM MDT

Quit being jealous, Sharo. Butt OUT!
    ~
      July 23, 2016 9:00 PM MDT

Neelie, yes, my mother is still with us, and no, I've never met my father. I've never seen a photo of him, nor do I know his name. (Writing this, it occurs to me that he has most likely never seen a photo of me nor knows my name.)
    ~
      July 23, 2016 9:04 PM MDT

I don't think my dad ever really did forgive my mom.  In my family's case mom's cheat was just a little too obvious.

My brother and I both have blonde hair.  Mom and dad also both have blonde hair.  That other brother has brown hair!  Uh oh!

Mom and dad still stayed together a long time.  That other brother was born in 1981 and mom and dad didn't get divorced until 2012.

July 23, 2016 11:48 PM MDT

My parents had an extremely turbulent marriage. My mother worked full time, second shift, in a factory when it wasn't "cool "to have a mom working full time let alone second shift in a factory.  There were many happy hours after her shift; I'm sure it's clear what I am getting at...she did cheat on my dad..They divorced, extremely bitterly, when I was about 8 or 10 years old. I don't think my dad forgave her back then, but I do know for a fact he did forgive her many years later (they both were in their late 70's) when he had little time left on this earth and knew it.  They made their peace with each other...my dad died knowing. this.

July 23, 2016 11:58 PM MDT

• Thank you, Livvie. I'd like to message you, but we need to be friends first, so AM tells me.

July 24, 2016 12:46 AM MDT

• That's a very touching story, Robbie, thank you.

Wish they had made their peace 20 years before they did; they would have had 20 years more of togetherness. 

July 24, 2016 1:01 AM MDT

I didn't know that.  I tried to change the settings to let anyone message me but I couldn't find where I do that in settings.

July 24, 2016 3:52 PM MDT