Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Would you think less of a woman who's had an extramarital affair without knowing what drove her to it?

Would you think less of a woman who's had an extramarital affair without knowing what drove her to it?

Posted - August 20, 2017

Responses

Although I do talk a lot about it on here really I see that as being private and so none of my business.  Not that I don't pass judgment on some of us - who I think use men and don't respect them.  But I know is something that happens very easily and very readily and sometimes for the simplest of reasons - we just feel good with someone or respond to his interest in us which makes us feel alive and worthwhile. 
      August 20, 2017 9:01 AM MDT

• I'm in complete agreement with point you make in your last sentence. 
      August 20, 2017 9:31 AM MDT

Thank you.  Growing up we were pretty liberal for that time.  But I remember some girls would say OK I am never going to fool around on my husband ever!  And some of them - they did not  such as my older brother's wife.  But most of them did eventually and so many just hater themselves for it, or hated their husbands!  So I think they were too hard on themselves.  But I don't know as that many people agree with me as you do. 
      August 20, 2017 9:42 AM MDT

Male or female, I do not care for cheaters. 

I personally don't think that lifelong monogamy is natural for most people. Rather than pretending it's for them and causing severe emotional damage to others, those who realize this should be honest about it and either be in open relationships or remain single. My view is that we should do as we please, without carelessly or deliberately harming others in the process. 
      August 20, 2017 9:50 AM MDT

I would not think less of her whether I knew why she did or not.

We humans are hard wired to mate.  Hearts, minds, and bodies occasionally reach out to another in an unexpected way and at an unexpected time.  
    It takes longer for some to fully integrate genital sex into their overall philosophies of life.

Do I approve--No.  Do I condemn--No.

I'm 71 and never had an affair.
      August 20, 2017 10:16 AM MDT

I doubt I'd even know about it, because I don't go sticking my big bazoo into folks' business, nor do I let people tell me private stuff that they'd be better off keeping to themselves.  If for whatever reason I came across that knowledge somehow, there's no blanket response I can give right now to say whether or not I'd think less of her without more context to the overall reason it's been revealed to me.  For instance, the origin of the information: if she herself tells me, that's different than a third party telling me, such as her husband or the person with whom she cheated.  All in all, like I opened with, I doubt anyone would share that with me, because I can't imagine it being any of my beeswax.  Nothing good would come of that.

When it comes to marriage, some people say, "They should have just divorced each other if they're having problems." That's not always the solution, nor is it always as simple as that.  I'm sure, however, that infidelity doesn't strengthen a marriage, especially not one already with problems.

Lastly, it's human nature to justify wrongdoing.  That doesn't make a wrong a right, but people attempt to do so all the time.  I'm no saint myself, but I'm sure I can come up with all kinds of claptrap about why I've done the things I've done, and the majority of the excuse-making is mere defensiveness.  

~
      August 20, 2017 1:56 PM MDT

Cheaters are cheaters.  It's a voluntary activity.    There is no grey area.  I don't care who cheats and don't care to know about it.  I don't gossip either. 
      August 20, 2017 5:38 PM MDT