Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Anything to reports of people suddenly aware today of new abilities once thought only to exist in comic books?

Anything to reports of people suddenly aware today of new abilities once thought only to exist in comic books?

Posted - August 21, 2017

Responses

• Not really .... my knuckle is itchy and I've resist the urge to scratch it for two hours straight cos I'm In a texting marathon. I'm probably a superhero now then. 
      August 21, 2017 9:21 PM MDT

I seriously doubt it. Supernatural abilities have been claimed for centuries, but none of the reports have ever managed to be verifiable.

As an example let us take one of the oldest "The affinity of twins". Supposedly when a twin is hurt the other twin knows instantly that something have happened.
    Now suppose you were the emperor of old Rome. You have sent half your army to Persia on a conquer and annex mission. Only the Spanish barbarians are acting up and now you also need to send an army to Spain to put down the rebellion there. If the Persian invasion was successfull the returning army will tell you in a month or 3. If it was not, then the Persian army are probably marching towards Rome right now. So was our invasion successful? Or not?
    If the Persians are marching you must keep the remaining army in Rome to resist the Persians, If  we won in Persia we can safely send soldiers to Spain. The Romans had heard reports of "the affinity of twins", Surely the life of one twin would be a small price to pay for knowing the Persian outcome FAST, A responsible Emperor would have found a pair of twins and sent one with the Army attacking Persia, Instructing the generals to torture him in a coded sequense if they won (and kept the other twin under observation), then when if the stay-home twin screamed long, short, long It would be known that the Persians had been defeated. It would be a great way to to communicate instantly over long distances. Yet no roman general ever sent such a twin-message, that seems to indicate that it never worked. If it had ever worked such twin meassaging would have spread to become SOP for the Roman military.

And that is the way it is with most such reports of supernatural abilities. The are simply too good to be true, Kings and Emperors must have tried them again and again and again, but never with good enough results to make it worth using those 'abilities'.
      August 21, 2017 11:03 PM MDT

Yeah, I stopped a speeding train this morning with one hand. I am so sick of them coming through with such disregard for the safety others.
      August 22, 2017 8:53 AM MDT

You should check out the show Stanlee's Superhuman. It was on for 3 seasons.

https://www.history.com/shows/stan-lees-superhumans

September 10, 2017 7:13 PM MDT