Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » AI is alive and well. Drones are learning to make decisions without human intervention. Brave New World?

AI is alive and well. Drones are learning to make decisions without human intervention. Brave New World?

Do we let drones decide when to kill and whom without our involvement? Do we train them and turn them loose to do what they are supposed to do? What stops them from turning on us? Talk about killing machines imagine releasing hundreds or thousands of them simultaneously anywhere in the world?

Posted - August 22, 2017

Responses

I thought drones were small aircraft, with remote control. 
      August 22, 2017 8:41 AM MDT

Think again. They SWARM on their own after they are released by planes. They decide on their own without any control by humans. Check it out on Sunday night's 60 Minutes. Be afraid. I was. This post was edited by RosieG at August 22, 2017 10:49 AM MDT
      August 22, 2017 10:47 AM MDT

Who has them?

I can't find any AI beyond lab work.  And then, it tends to be shut down when two or more of them get together and start inventing their own language.

(and I stopped watching 60 Minutes in the late 1980's, after researching a number of their stories and finding they left out facts that didn't fit their slant ... and apparently made some up out of thin air)

August 22, 2017 1:57 PM MDT