Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Christians are supposed to have COMPASSION. I just encountered one who puts politics ahead of everything. Is that standardly acceptable?

Christians are supposed to have COMPASSION. I just encountered one who puts politics ahead of everything. Is that standardly acceptable?

Posted - August 24, 2017

Responses

How do you measure?

How do you measure when one ends and the other begins or what is Christian?   Is the person voting for a killer who says he is going to kill someone?  That certainly is not Christian.
    I mean, really.  What does this even mean?   Can you flesh it out with at least an EXAMPLE of what you are talking about?

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 24, 2017 10:57 AM MDT
      August 24, 2017 10:53 AM MDT

• Unless this person specifically tells you, how do you know if he or she puts politics ahead of everything? Now if this person disagrees with you I can understand  how you might feel that they lack compassion. That's a typical response.
      August 24, 2017 11:14 AM MDT

Holding a politician to his word because that is what he campaigned on an issue for years is a Christian thing to do....Lying is against the will of God. We must forgive....but we don't have to forget (we can remember and not vote for them later)
    Luke 17:3 Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him,

Just because the politician is ill, does not give him a pass to lie to his constituents.

That is not what compassion means:
    a feeling of wanting to help someone who is sick, hungry, in trouble, etc.

I don't know anyone who is not compassionate towards McCain and is his cancer, no one wants him sick and want him to be able to defeat the devastating disease.

But that has nothing to do with his vote on OC. He lied.

---------
    "It depends on what dog you have in what fight. Some admire McCain for what he did. Dying of brain cancer as he is he flew back to D.C. to cast a vote that was very important to him. I decry those who vilify him for doing so. Shame on them for putting partisan politics above human compassion. These are phony Christians. They defile the name and should be ashamed."

August 24, 2017 11:29 AM MDT

Christians are also supposed to stand for justice. Justice and compassion are often somewhat contradictory. It's very difficult to integrate them together, as God does.

The left have no sense of justice, so it's hard for them to understand the moral dilemma as conservatives do. We can't compassionately abandon those who are in need. Though we can't justly violate the property rights / liberty of others to force them to help others.

The solution is to see that primary role of the state is to stand for justice. Compassion is meant to well up organically from society itself. Political discussion should therefore focus on justice.

A just society is so prosperous that few people will need help and many will be willing and able to provide it. If we abandon justice, society ends up with widespread poverty and not enough compassion to make a difference. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at September 1, 2017 7:58 AM MDT
      September 1, 2017 7:51 AM MDT