Discussion » Questions » Arts » Tell me, people HOW this was constructed 200 years before the birth of Christ? How did the Chinese MAKE this?

Tell me, people HOW this was constructed 200 years before the birth of Christ? How did the Chinese MAKE this?

The Terracotta Army (simplified Chinese: 兵马俑; traditional Chinese: 兵馬俑; literally: "Soldier-and-horse funerary statues") is a collection of terracotta sculptures depicting the armies of Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China. It is a form of funerary art buried with the emperor in 210–209 BCE and whose purpose was to protect the emperor in his afterlife.

The figures, dating from approximately the late third century BCE,[1] were discovered in 1974 by local farmers in Lintong District, Xi'an, Shaanxi province. The figures vary in height according to their roles, with the tallest being the generals. The figures include warriors, chariots and horses. Estimates from 2007 were that the three pits containing the Terracotta Army held more than 8,000 soldiers, 130 chariots with 520 horses and 150 cavalry horses, the majority of which remained buried in the pits nearby Qin Shi Huang's mausoleum.[2] Other terracotta non-military figures were found in other pits, including officials, acrobats, strongmen and musicians.

Posted - August 25, 2017

Responses

Yes, this is something to ponder.  I have.  I guess he (the first emperor)  had a phobia about being alone.   This post was edited by Thriftymaid at August 25, 2017 1:06 PM MDT
      August 25, 2017 1:04 PM MDT

Come on, Thrift. You are way better than that.  The Egyptians did the exact same thing, but I am not talking about why. I am talking about the amazing construction of this and how they made a very delicate material like terra cotta last and not disnitigrate and the DETAIL that this has is beyond belief. 

That is what I meant.  HOW THE HECK DID THEY MANAGE THIS?  Amazing to me.  It should be one of the Wonders of the World.  How many are there?  7?  There has to be 8 now with this.
      August 25, 2017 1:10 PM MDT

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/shaanxi/xian/terra_cotta_army/sculpture.htm
      August 25, 2017 1:19 PM MDT

You're awesome again.
      August 25, 2017 1:25 PM MDT

God only knows. Um, well, maybe not yet anyway, ;+
      August 25, 2017 2:16 PM MDT

This has always really blown my mind and though I'm utterly fascinated, for some reason I'm also completely content to just sit and be in awe! WOW!!

:)

August 25, 2017 5:52 PM MDT

OMG when I first heard about this I was SOOO excited....no one, though, seems to care at all about it!!

saw a GREAT show on it on the History channel.......lots of speculation as to how it was done, but sooooo fascinating!!

I would love to see it, but of course not possible...anyway, it should be paid attention to!!!

a truly SPECTACULAR ACHIEVEMENT and I'm sure at the cost of many peoples' lives and lot of suffering!!

no cigarette breaks back then, huh? LOL.....
      October 24, 2017 8:04 AM MDT