Discussion » Questions » Family » What's the best way for me to deal with these yearly phone calls?

What's the best way for me to deal with these yearly phone calls?

My birthday is coming up and every single yr i get calls from siblings and either cousins or whatever, my parents arent alive so i cant get their calls, but anyways, the only time i hear from my brothers is on that big day. my twin dont do that, i talk to her every wk, Im resenting that they do that cause it makes me feel like they dont really want to talk but they just feel obligated, and yes, ive tried to email or facebook them in between their birthdays but most of the time they dont even answer me. I have nieces that are teenagers and i feel like they are strangers, i have two, if i email or facebook them they wont even respond 99% of the time. the only time i hear from them is on the big day. I feel like theyre just calling out of obligation and not cause they want to talk to me, was wondering if i should just take my phone off the hook or take off, that dont work cause they just call the next day, any suggestions? i hate when my family does this

Posted - August 27, 2017

Responses

No.  Let them call and just say thank you for calling.  Don't cut them off from contacting you at all.  Why don't you call each of them a couple times of the year but not on their birthdays. That will mean you just want to make contact.   Families are strange.  But you belong to them and they belong to you.
      August 27, 2017 4:14 PM MDT

Even if they just remember you once a year
    don't push away their love
    accept it 
    and tell them thanks for remembering you.
    Be big in heart...
      August 27, 2017 4:23 PM MDT

That's about all I get from my son...but I am used to it. Be thankful for that. And happy upcoming birthday.
      August 27, 2017 5:21 PM MDT

You have a twin?  Does she ever get on Answermug too? 
      August 28, 2017 4:08 AM MDT

yes, im an identical twin and no she doesnt even get on the net let alone answermug, shes never been into the computer, she'd rather read, i used to read more but im more into the computer these days
      August 28, 2017 8:35 AM MDT

Me too.
      August 28, 2017 6:24 PM MDT

They are just doing it to ease their consciences.

I'm sure they know how you feel by now.  Since we all know.  But if they don't, I'd tell them.  And if you cannot, write them a nice letter.  Tell them not to fake the pretend care they feel for you.

They don't care.  It is crueler for them to treat you like this, than to not call at at all.

Also, I'm wondering if they treat your twin sister like this.  If they are friendly to her, maybe you did something to make them angry.
      August 28, 2017 8:40 AM MDT

People seem to give great importance to a birth date. So it seems as though your family is letting you know they care on a day they believe should be important to you as well. In a nice manner and pick another day to call, and in the course of the conversation tell them how much you would enjoy hearing from them during the year and not just on your birthday. If you make habit of calling more often they might start responding. Just don't expect too much, and don't set yourself up for disappointment. You do what you know in your heart to be what's right, God will reward you.
      March 5, 2018 10:37 PM MST