Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What is the difference between bersidis and arthritis?

What is the difference between bersidis and arthritis?

Posted - August 28, 2017

Responses

August 28, 2017 2:21 PM MDT

Hi Zack - Mr.GenXer. My sons Boss says he has bursitis and that it is a Southern version of arthritis. I thought that sounded sort of strange. hahaha
    :)
      August 28, 2017 2:26 PM MDT

Nice description of the symptoms, Zack, but you didn't answer the question. Bursitis is an inflammation of bursae, that are filled with synoveal fluid which greatly lowers the friction in moving. It causes the symptoms of that you wrote.

Osteoarthritis is the breakdown of joint cartilage and often leads to bone on bone contact. I have it in my wrist and back. It is caused by repetetive motion and genetic factors.
      August 28, 2017 3:26 PM MDT

Bursitis is a bit like a leaky shock absorber in your car's suspension. Inflammation of the fluid sacs that reduce friction in joints.
    Arthritis - you've done a CV. Degeneration of cartilage and connective tissue. I have it in the back and shoulder. Osteoarthritis tends to be associated with injury, rheumatoid arthritis is genetic.
      August 28, 2017 5:09 PM MDT

I did nit know either so I googled and found an article:

What’s the difference between bursitis and arthritis?

It seems arthritis is inside the joint, and bursitis is in the area surrounding the joint.
      August 28, 2017 7:52 PM MDT