Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Communication » "i was just joking. Can't you take a joke"? "Don't you recognize sarcasm"? Joking/sarcasm isn't ALWAYS OK. Do YOU think it is? Why

"i was just joking. Can't you take a joke"? "Don't you recognize sarcasm"? Joking/sarcasm isn't ALWAYS OK. Do YOU think it is? Why

Common sense. Good taste. Appropriate behavior. Appropriate conversations. Decorum. Class. Where did it go? Some are apologists for those who ridicule/poke fun at/demean/deride anything at any time because they insist it was "just a joke" "Sarcasm". At whose expense? For what purpose? To what end? Does it matter? It should. Does it?

Posted - September 1, 2017

Responses

I am a Brit - we cut our teeth on sarcasm.  However, that is not to say that that makes it ok!  If you examine sarcasm... then it is almost ALWAYS used in a manipulative way, to belittle, or insult someone.. so really, while we perhaps all do it from time to time.. none of us can, hand on heart, say it's NICE or that it's always appropriate.. It isn't!
      September 1, 2017 3:08 AM MDT

It's hard to talk about Doofus Donny without being sarcastic. He is so worthy of it.
    Excluding Pols who ASK to be ridiculed I think joking about something serious is an abomination. "We only kill  black people". Meant to be sarcastic/funny? I think it is neither of those. I think it is ghastly. Thank you for your reply Addb and Happy Friday to thee!  :)
      September 1, 2017 3:16 AM MDT

That's ok I entirely got that you were referring to the misuse of sarcasm and joking when one is in a position of authority where decisions of life and death are involved. Then it's entirely NOT appropriate.. In the case of Doofus - that's another matter.. however, at the end of the day we do have to accept that sacrasm isn't nice.. it isn't always appropriate and can, in some circumstances, be dangerous. 
      September 1, 2017 3:29 AM MDT

Exactly.  And since "many a truth is said in jest" I believe the sarcastic folks who "joke" aren't joking at all. They are deadly serious. They're also cowards who won't face up to it to so they try to mitigate the effect by putting the burden on you by saying that you are the one with the problem because you can't take a joke. What a crock of Bullsh**. I never buy it. I'm not that gullible! Thank you for your reply Addb! :)
      September 1, 2017 3:38 AM MDT