Active Now

Malizz
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Why does New York City have two commercial airports - LaGuardia and J.F.K. - instead of just one?

Why does New York City have two commercial airports - LaGuardia and J.F.K. - instead of just one?

Posted - September 3, 2017

Responses

Busy place. It also has lots of surrounding airports, including Newark International.
      September 3, 2017 12:00 PM MDT

• Because NYC and the surrounding area is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world. One airport would not be enough to handle all the traffic. 

LaGuardia is the older of the two airports. JFK was built because LaGuardia was already over-crowded soon after it was built. 
      September 3, 2017 12:05 PM MDT

Because they want to? Technically London has around 4 or so, Heathrow, Luton, Stanstead and Gatwick although I don't think some of them are techically called London airports - not sure.. and although Gatwick is called a London airport it isn't in London - just to be confusing.. 
      September 3, 2017 1:55 PM MDT

Because they want to? Technically London has around 4 or so, Heathrow, Luton, Stanstead and Gatwick although I don't think some of them are techically called London airports - not sure.. and although Gatwick is called a London airport it isn't in London - just to be confusing.. 
      September 3, 2017 1:55 PM MDT

You forgot City airport on the banks of the Thames in East London....it's in Silvertown quite near the Isle of Dogs.... :(p
      September 3, 2017 2:21 PM MDT

Yep I did forget that... I read that there was a city airport and was going to say 5. but before I read about it I had no idea there was one called that so I promptly forgot it again :P
      September 3, 2017 2:51 PM MDT

You can row in a sculling boat in one of the existing old Docks right next to the runway.....:)
      September 3, 2017 3:01 PM MDT

They needed it!  They are both very busy.  Many people use the Newark airport for a NYC destination.
      September 3, 2017 10:35 PM MDT