Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Ever take on the role of Devil's Advocate? Arguing a position opposite from the popular view for argument's sake?

Ever take on the role of Devil's Advocate? Arguing a position opposite from the popular view for argument's sake?

If so how do we know if you are merely  "playing a role" or really believe what you are saying? One is truthful. The other one not. You cannot hold two opposing positions simultaneously about something and have them both be true. Can you? Have you? How?

Posted - September 4, 2017

Responses

Did it with Old School now and again.
      September 4, 2017 5:55 AM MDT

It could certainly be worthwhile assuming both parties are respectful and don't indulge in personal attack. I can see that. I have been told Old School was BANNED from Answermug. It's our loss in my opinion. The snide and snarky folks are still here though. I don't get it. Thank you for your reply. I guess snide/snarky is in .  :(
      September 4, 2017 6:11 AM MDT

• Those who speak frequently about being respectful and abstaining from personal attacks are those who lead the parade of snide and snarky.
      September 4, 2017 7:05 AM MDT

• $1, 2 & 3 - "No, life's too short for that kind of nonsense.
             #4 - "Sure you can!"  Organized Religion has been doing it for centuries.
      September 4, 2017 6:39 AM MDT

• Are you going to rephrase this same question every week?
      September 4, 2017 7:48 AM MDT