RESPECT.

Should respect be given freely to all and sundry thus becoming yet another useless politically correct word, or should respect be earned and thus maintain its value?

Posted - September 5, 2017

Responses

Not, respect is not always earned. In most cases respect should be given until lost. 
    And still some respect is owed to some just based on their position in life.  We owe respect to our elders, our parents,  teachers, police, judges, those in political office...we can show respect even if we dislike or disagree with person in those positions.  
      September 5, 2017 4:52 AM MDT

You say 'Not, respect is not always earned. In most cases respect should be given until lost'. In the cases below and many more, it is exactly because respect was given unearned that allowed these wrongs to take place.

'We owe respect to our elders' you do not 'owe' respect to all elders, else you would have to include nearly everyone in history and I think we could agree that there are a great number unworthy of respect, also that is dependent on the age of the one giving the respect.

'our parents' I wonder if these poor kids would agree with you had their mother not murdered them.
    Defense attorney Teresa Caffese said Harris believed completely that she was sending her children — 6-year-old Trayshun Harris, 2-year-old Taronta Greeley, Jr., and 16-month-old Joshoa Greeley — to heaven when she threw them over a railing and into the bay's cold waters.

A 37-year-old mother has been charged with the murder of seven of her children and her niece after their bodies were found at a home in Cairns, in far north Queensland, on Friday. The four girls and four boys aged between two and 14 were discovered at a home on Murray Street in the Cairns suburb of Manoora.

The two I mention here are only the tip of the iceberg of child abuse by parents.

'Police' you must be joking.

Many cases are alleged to be of brutality; some cases are more than allegations, with official reports concluding that a crime was committed by police, with some criminal convictions for offences such as grievous bodily harm, planting evidence and wrongful arrest.
    List of cases of police brutality - Wikipedia

'
    Judges & politicians' I have combined them as they are tarred with the same brush. brush.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_federal_officials_convicted_of_corruption_offenses
      September 5, 2017 6:13 AM MDT

I defind no murderers.  No desent person has any respect for those. 

A parent whom abuses their child, should loose their child and be punished. All respect lost. 

So because of the  actions of a few, we are judge all police, judges, and politicians? That is a broad brush. 
      September 5, 2017 6:30 AM MDT

Not at all but we should withhold respect until it is earned else it is worthless You were saying that respect should be given automatically to certain people, all I did was point out that there are certain people within those same groups who are and never have been worthy of anyone's respect, hence it should not be given automatically.
      September 5, 2017 6:47 AM MDT

So if a police officer pulls someone over, how are they to behave? Have they known the officer long enough to have earned respect? 
    We should give respect for all until theu loose it. If everyone has to earn respect before they give it....no one will be respectful to anyone. Which does explain a lot of things happening in the country. 
      September 5, 2017 7:32 AM MDT

You appear to think that not showing respect is equivalent to showing disrespect, which is not the case at all. There is no need to respect the police officer, simply being civil is quite sufficient. I also find it hard to believe that you just said that when in another post you stated, and I quote, 'John McCain  is not a user on this site. So I do not have to be respectful to him'.  This coming from someone who says we should respect 'those in political office'  if you cannot see the hypocrisy in that, then there really is very little hope for you. 
      September 5, 2017 8:51 AM MDT

Not really one answer.  I respect life, relationships, truthfulness, and a host of others things/qualities on their faces.  You, I believe, are talking about respect which I aver must be earned.   If I do not know a person or anything about a person I hardly respect them for any reason other than they are a living entity and are due respect for that.  That entails not harming them in any deliberate way and showing the formal polilteness our culture has taught us. 
      September 5, 2017 5:05 AM MDT

Freely? Not in my opinion. The Cheeto-in-Chief lost any respect I had for him long ago, but particularly at the intersection of making fun of a disabled reporter, disrespecting a war hero, fighting with a gold-star family, bragging about grabbing women's genitalia, and being a pathological liar. The nightmare of his rising to the presidency doesn't magically confer respect upon him. He could probably find enough gullible people to name him Grand Poobah of the Universe and I still wouldn't have an ounce of respect for such a vile, immoral, dishonest, vicious, ignorant man.  
      September 5, 2017 5:16 AM MDT

I see it as between a rock and a hard place, there was no one in the race worthy of respect when it came time to vote.
      September 5, 2017 6:12 AM MDT

There was no reason to ever disrespect Hillary Clinton.  Now you have reaped what you have sown.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 5, 2017 8:30 AM MDT
      September 5, 2017 7:58 AM MDT

As I did not vote you can hardly say I have reaped what I have sown. This is only my opinion but for me Hillary lost all hope of respect when she stood by a whore mongering man who sat straight faced while lying to the entire nation over Monica.
      September 5, 2017 8:58 AM MDT

It's hard to talk to people like you, so I don't.  Not politics anyway.  I know you think you are all clever.  You have no idea what you are talking about and all people like you can say about Hillary is Bengahzi or some stupid tripe that makes little sense to the speaker and less to the bewildered listener.

Listen:   Trump has committed so many atrocities that he can be compared to Hitler.  So when you say stupid nonsense like Hillary looked at some emails, it is pathetic.

She didn't he lied and if she did?  SO WHAT? 

She knows how to run a country and if you cannot tell the difference and just say I'm not voting?  You have told me all I need to know. 

Clueless.
      September 5, 2017 9:01 AM MDT

Actually I never said anything about emails or anything other than the reason I feel she is not worthy of respect, which I still feel is a valid point. Actually I have not told you all you need to know, to form a fair judgement you need to take into account that I am not American and I do not live in the US, so voting in that election would be more than a little difficult.

End of Hillary stuff.
      September 5, 2017 9:22 AM MDT

It is kinda both. When we meet a strange we threat him with respect, just on the off chance that he may deserve it.
    Then as we get to know him better the level of respect is adjusted to better fit with how much respect he deserves.

But that initial inventment of unearned respect is important. Give everyone a chance :-))
      September 5, 2017 6:44 AM MDT

You have respect and you have disrespect, between those two you have acceptance which is, in my opinion where we should start from.
      September 5, 2017 6:52 AM MDT

Nah, first you give. To everyone. I see is as a part of "Love thy neighbor".

But how about in real life, dont you do it too? Some motorist going the other way shout to you: "The bridge ahead is out". Do you ignore him ? or do you shout "Thanks" and  Slow down for a careful approach ?
      September 5, 2017 7:05 AM MDT

I fail to see how that fits in with respect, unless you consider respect to be listening to someone.
      September 5, 2017 7:10 AM MDT

Respect covers a lot of territory.

To not hit someone and rob them is showing respect too.

So, depending on the situation, I exercise as much respect as possible so I can keep my self-respect.

September 5, 2017 7:56 AM MDT

That sounds reasonable to me.
      September 5, 2017 9:03 AM MDT

Well, well, well. At least SOMETHING does. 

Let's stay away from Hillary talk. 
      September 5, 2017 9:05 AM MDT

You got it.
      September 5, 2017 9:15 AM MDT

About 50 years ago, respect did not automatically mean that you agreed or admired or esteemed  that person that you respected.  It meant that you understood precisely what he was saying and/or doing, and then based on that understanding could have a a positive or negative opinion about what he said or did. (specio + re  = look + back = respect---meaning essentially to be able to look at what is said or done with the advantage of the typical Monday morning quarterback.)

With that paradigm in mind, I could say that I did indeed respect Adolph Hitler; and my respect meant that I could affirm without qualification that not only was he wrong, I had absolutely no admiration or esteem for the man and his actions.

But by increasing the extension of the world "respect," we decreased its comprehension, just as we did with "gentleman" and "decimate" over the years.

"Sic transit gloria mundi"  (So passes the glory of the world.)
      September 5, 2017 9:39 AM MDT

• I respect everyone by default until they give me a reason not to. It's a more pleasant way to go through life than only respecting those who give you a reason to. It's less cynical and I find it causes me to be treated better. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 31, 2017 1:09 PM MDT
      September 5, 2017 9:52 AM MDT