Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Are there movies you've seen and you ended up maybe not knowing exactly what they were about but you loved them anyway?

Are there movies you've seen and you ended up maybe not knowing exactly what they were about but you loved them anyway?

The first two to come to my mind are:

Director William Friedkin's "Bug"   

Director John August's "The Nines" (starring Ryan Reynolds who gives one of the best performances I've ever seen)

I really recommend both of these quirky movies!!
:)

Posted - September 6, 2017

Responses

Oh yeah, those.  I love those esoteric lullabyes.   They remind me of Neil Young and his lyrics.

Here you stood at the edge of a feather
    expecting to fly....

Sheer genius.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 6, 2017 7:30 PM MDT
      September 6, 2017 1:19 PM MDT

Shar, I've always loved this song.  Haven't heard it in years.  Thanks for posting it. :-)
      September 6, 2017 1:27 PM MDT

He is bliss to me.  Thanks for mentioning it. 
      September 6, 2017 1:29 PM MDT

Me too.  I went to a number of his concerts.  Was also a Dead Head.  All of this was before I became a corporate shill. :)

This post was edited by Harry at September 6, 2017 7:34 PM MDT
      September 6, 2017 1:41 PM MDT

Did you find "Bug" and "The Nines" esosteric lullabyes? I don't know if I followed your answer correctly, sorry!

But it maybe doesn't matter because I've never heard this song and it's gorgeous! I don't care about my stupid question while listening! Ha!
      September 6, 2017 7:33 PM MDT

"Two Lane Blacktop"
    "Mulholland Drive"
    "Heart of Glass"

You can describe what happens, but what is are they really about?

"Bug" was pretty good. I've only seen it once.
      September 6, 2017 1:20 PM MDT

Wheel of Fortune
    Jeapordy
    Who Wants to be  a Millionaire

September 6, 2017 1:22 PM MDT

DING DING DING DINGDING DINGDING DINGDING DINGDING DINGDING DINGDING DING DING DINGDING DING DING DINGDING DINGDING DINGDING DINGDING DING!!!

YOU WIN A PRIZE!!!!!
      September 6, 2017 1:35 PM MDT

Well I understood that he wanted stuff that made no sense at all. Yet, somehow, compelling in it's mystery as to why it is interesting in the first place.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 6, 2017 7:38 PM MDT
      September 6, 2017 1:37 PM MDT

I don't know any.

September 6, 2017 1:41 PM MDT

Yes, exactly!

I saw "Mulholland Drive" - - yup. I really liked it but I was unsure of what it was all about.

I think I've only seen "Bug" once, too. I do own it on DVD. I saw it in the big theater at a matinee performance - - I was literally the only person in the entire theater. Made the whole experience even better!
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 6, 2017 7:37 PM MDT
      September 6, 2017 7:36 PM MDT

Hi Welby!  The first movie that came to mind is "Jacob's Ladder."   I'll give this more thought because I know there are more.  Just can't think of them at the moment.  That's what I get for trying to do too many things at once.
      September 6, 2017 1:24 PM MDT

It's tough to bring some things to mind in a split second. 
      September 6, 2017 1:30 PM MDT

I know.  It's also tough when you're multi-tasking.  I have no business being online at the moment. lol.
      September 6, 2017 1:31 PM MDT

I'm supposed to be running errands right now.  I'm commiserating.
      September 6, 2017 1:33 PM MDT

How are you feeling now?  Did the "snack" help?
      September 6, 2017 1:34 PM MDT

I'm walking in space. I found the purpose of peace.  I gave someone a good massage who came over and I am back here after finding out that this woman who I counted on to be a major client is bailing on the idea for another month.  That tells me that I need to always keep in mind that things like this happen all the time and keeping a regular job is great as a de-stressor.

So, I don't have to worry about her, but I need another her in the meantime.  I am sending out my tentacles.  This is all extra bread, but I want it to grow not stop or go backwards.

Blah blah blah.

I am really stoned too.  So, I am not stressed one iota.  (maybe not motivated enough, but I did do a lot of work this past week.   I need to just chillax.

Thanks for asking.   Damned skippy of you.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 6, 2017 7:41 PM MDT
      September 6, 2017 1:42 PM MDT

How stoned?

September 6, 2017 2:52 PM MDT

"Jacob's Ladder" -- yeah, a strange one I liked, too.
      September 6, 2017 7:39 PM MDT

• I think this is what you might be talking about ... for me it was.

"The Celestine Prophecy"  (2006)

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 6, 2017 7:43 PM MDT
      September 6, 2017 2:46 PM MDT

I stopped watching about halfway through the trailer - - it was simply showing too much of the plot for me and I might see it and I don't like knowing things about movies before I see them. :)
    I swear where the trailer stopped was probably, I bet, about halfway through the movie's plot and running time.
    But from what I saw of the trailer, I bet this movie could be one that fits my question for me, too, like it did you.
      September 6, 2017 7:45 PM MDT

If you think that was bad, you should try reading the book Welby.  I was stuck for two days in a house with nothing to do but read that stinking, terribly-written book.  The frustrating thing about it is that in the right hands, with the plot not being so ridiculous, there were some real good parts in this stinker that I would have loved to have seen fleshed out.  Some of it was gripping, but the reason behind the story was plain ludicrous.  STUPID.
      September 6, 2017 7:48 PM MDT

September 6, 2017 7:50 PM MDT

I dont really watch that many movies because i dont have the attention span to enjoy them all the way through, but i do remember this one as being one i was surprised about...

September 6, 2017 2:46 PM MDT