Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Ladies: Honestly, would you lose respect for your partner if he didn't make as much money as you?

Ladies: Honestly, would you lose respect for your partner if he didn't make as much money as you?

Usually the question is:
Do men feel intimated by a woman who earns more?
What I want to know is do women lose interest or respect in there partner if he chooses to only work part-time and look after his child more?

I should clarify that he wouldn't be needing your money, he just takes care of his kid and doesn't make a lot of extra money.

How would you feel about a guy like that?
Would you honestly date him?

Posted - September 9, 2017

Responses

I've made more than partners in the past, and it made no difference to me.

In the scenario you present, I'd actually have more respect for the guy.  He has his priorities straight, imho.
      September 9, 2017 10:13 PM MDT

• Aww...thanks for your answer.
    My ex wife lost respect for me and it was OUR child I was and am still looking after.
    She works all the time and keeps all of her money.
    I'm glad to hear that there are women out there that appreciate someone who makes his child a priority.
    Thanks. : )
      September 9, 2017 10:23 PM MDT

You are a good man, TS.  Nothing money could buy is worth more than the time you're spending with your son now...to you or to him.     
      September 9, 2017 11:29 PM MDT

• Thanks so much.
    That's exactly how I feel.
    The time you have with your child is so short before they want to be out with their friends and working and starting relationships etc.
    I want to really experience being his dad and I don't want to look back and feel bad that I missed out.
    I feel bad for my ex wife because she chose to not be around much.
    I can always make more money later, but she can never get those years back that she missed with our child.
    I tried to tell her, but she doesn't care.

Anyway, thanks for the support. : )
      September 9, 2017 11:39 PM MDT

I'm right there with Bozette on everything she has said.

I've been in relationships where I made more money.  When I got married, he was earning a bit more than I was.  As time progressed, my salary surpassed his.  Then, he wasn't working at all.  It didn't matter and still doesn't matter to me.  Unfortunately, the issue for me would be having to deal with someone else's child and he/she taking priority over my amazing self. I want all the attention.  Wah.

Sorry., not sorry. ;-p 
      September 9, 2017 10:33 PM MDT

• Thanks for your honesty.
    I appreciate that money isn't really the concern for you.
    Attention wise I think it depends on the age of the child.
    When my son was younger he needed more attention.
    Now he wants some time to himself occasionally and I might have time to give a potential girlfriend a massage or make supper together or snuggle up and watch a movie.
    I hope to eventually be able to balance being a father and being an awesome boyfriend and maybe even working more once my son is bigger.
    Thanks. : ) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 10, 2017 3:55 PM MDT
      September 9, 2017 10:43 PM MDT

Did I read massage?  I'll be right over.
      September 9, 2017 10:47 PM MDT

• LoL!
    What I lack in money I try to make up for by putting a lot of effort into the massages I give. ; )
      September 9, 2017 10:52 PM MDT

I'm logging out now.  If you hear someone running up to your door, it's just me. ;-)
      September 9, 2017 10:55 PM MDT

• I'll leave it unlocked. LoL. : )

September 9, 2017 11:02 PM MDT

Careful Truthseeker, she's extremely pent-up and horny.
      September 9, 2017 11:05 PM MDT

• LoL!
    I've been separated for over a year so getting to touch a woman after this long would feel like I just got out of prison, LoL!
    JK. : )
      September 9, 2017 11:11 PM MDT

Sounds like sparks are gonna fly.

September 9, 2017 11:25 PM MDT

• LMAO!
      September 9, 2017 11:29 PM MDT

I appreciate your working on my behalf while I was sleeping.  I've been in great need of a good wing woman.  
      September 10, 2017 7:55 AM MDT

I like to do what I can for the sisterhood. 
      September 10, 2017 5:37 PM MDT

Women have hypergamous instincts (attraction to those of equal or greater social status than themselves). It's hardwired into our biology for men to be primarily attracted to youth, beauty and fertility, and women to be primarily attracted to high social status. All women feel this impulse and those that deny it are just lying. 

Women are very very socially conscious of what others think. It's part of what creates hypergamous behavior and it also prevents them being honest about their impulses. They need to virtue signal because telling the truth, in a world that does its best to deny human nature, would reflect poorly on them.

That doesn't mean that every woman will choose to act on that impulse. We all have free will. Though they all have it.

Strangely male animal instincts are considered pretty self evident by everyone. A woman feeling insecure if her husband is in position to attract younger more beautiful women, is considered pretty understandable. Though shining a light on female animal instincts is a bit taboo. It's considered misogynistic to acknowledge that a dark side of female nature exists.

Society does its best to turn it around on the man and say something like "Oh, you're just intimidated by a strong, confident, independent woman, aren't you!?" I don't think men are intimated. We just want a mate who finds us attractive which is a completely normal desire. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at September 10, 2017 3:55 PM MDT
      September 10, 2017 2:25 AM MDT

ROFLMFAO.  Generalize much?   You must be a very lonely man. Get your head out of your a$$.  It's not the 1950's anymore.
      September 10, 2017 7:51 AM MDT

Human nature never changes. You either lack honesty or self awareness. Not sure which.

"All generalizations are false, including this one." Mark Twain This post was edited by Zeitgeist at September 10, 2017 3:56 PM MDT
      September 10, 2017 8:10 AM MDT

The last time we crossed swords you didn't know I was a woman and chose to called me a "mangina."   Name calling reflects an immature mind.   You are making ignorant defensive conclusions about me yet again.  You insist on painting all women with the same brush and consistently choose to vomit up personal opinion over fact.  When are you going to learn that just because you believe something, it doesn't make it a truth?

September 10, 2017 8:43 AM MDT

• Oh, I know all about the dark side of female human nature.
    My finding out everything my ex wife had been doing for years while I was struggling and raising our child pretty much by myself made me contemplate suicide.
    Then I remembered "Who is gonna look after my son?"
    Yeah, she was not at all who I thought she was and her behaviour did seem to get worst when She went back to work and I ended up leaving my full time job to work part-time and care for our child more
    I didn't want him raised by a babysitter, I wanted to be a parent so I was gonna do it.
    I don't think she was impressed or as attracted to me as she seemed to be when I had a better job.
    She told me that she was "embarrassed" of me working part-time.

Anyway, thank you for giving your perspective.
    I'm hoping to find out that most women are not like my ex, but ultimately I always want the truth.

September 10, 2017 7:54 AM MDT

You're so sweet TS.  TZ doesn't post much outside the political questions, but when he does, he always chooses questions that allow his completely misogynistic self to shine through.  It's always fun watching him bust a gasket.

September 10, 2017 8:06 AM MDT

• Thanks for the compliment, I think you're sweet too.
    I don't mind getting a wide variety if opinions actually.
    I would prefer to hear from a variety if women in this question because I feel like I may get the closest to the truth that way, but I like to look through all responses from everyone and hopefully get something from each one.
    I don't mind if you disagree with him or respond to his statement.
    I believe that YOU are legit and are telling the truth about yourself.
    I also wonder if women lke you and Bozette are the minority?
    I know my ex is not sweet like you, but I hope there are more women like you than her.
    Thanks. : )

September 10, 2017 8:27 AM MDT

Thanks TS.  I don't know if I'm that sweet.  I try to show respect to people who show others respect.  All of my married women friends make more money than their husbands.  I'm not saying they have perfect marriages, but it works for them.  Just like men, women have varied outlooks.  Just because your ex did what she did, doesn't mean she is in the majority.  From what I've read about your situation, it sounds like she has some psychological issues she hasn't dealt with and learned how to manage.  We're all damaged in one way or another.  It's how we choose to deal with that damage and move forward with our lives.  I hope I'm not overstepping by saying, at the moment, you need to figure out how to move past your anger before you seriously start to date anyone else.  If you don't, a new relationship doesn't stand a chance of succeeding.  There are good women out there.  AND, I know one of them is waiting to meet a man like you.    
      September 10, 2017 8:56 AM MDT