Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Weather » Rainmakers "seed" clouds to bring rain. Is the opposite possible? Can developing hurricanes be defanged so they die before they're born?

Rainmakers "seed" clouds to bring rain. Is the opposite possible? Can developing hurricanes be defanged so they die before they're born?

Posted - September 10, 2017

Responses

Sure just pump cold air into the 'foot' of the hurricane. That will make the rising column of hot air that power it no longer rise. Presto: the hurricane diperserse and  stop existing.

But it takes A LOT of cold air. Millions of cubic meters. Might be useful in the early stages though. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at September 10, 2017 5:11 AM MDT
      September 10, 2017 5:07 AM MDT

It just seems to me if we can establish space stations where people live months at a time, get someone to the moon and safely back home, send a human down into the Marianas Trench almost 7 miles deep and bring him back safely we ought to be able to figure out a way to stop these things early on. Would NOAH be involved in it? You say "sure" and give a solution. So why hasn't it been done? I do not have a good understanding of how much millions of cubic meters of cold air is though JakobA. Could you give me a comparison?  Thank you for your reply. Jose is right in back of Irma and behind that is Katia. I read that Katia already did some damage in Mexico. Condolences to all who have or will be badly impacted. I have no idea if there will be an end to them. Seems this year is especially gruesome.
      September 10, 2017 5:16 AM MDT

It certainly sounds like a good idea to me. Makes me sort of wonder about it, too.

And a year later after your  posted your question, we have Florence.
      September 14, 2018 7:00 PM MDT

• I would forward the question to the White House. The left claims that Trump was complicit in the development of this latest storm. If he possesses such power, I'm sure he could tell ya if such a process was a possibility. Can't wait for the impeachment to begin. I wanna see how you people make that charge stick. The next time he makes a storm, I wish he'd direct it to another area of the country. Those of us in the southeast are on his side. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 14, 2018 8:49 PM MDT
      September 14, 2018 7:08 PM MDT