Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » GERMAN scientists have played a HUGE role in scientific advances in America. The intellect/education of German scientists is unique. WHY?

GERMAN scientists have played a HUGE role in scientific advances in America. The intellect/education of German scientists is unique. WHY?

Posted - September 10, 2017

Responses

Good question :-) I do not know the answer, but we surely need to find out.
      September 10, 2017 5:24 AM MDT

Maybe it's the water. Thank you for the compliment JakobA. If you find out please let me know and I will do the same for you. :)
      September 10, 2017 7:59 AM MDT

Fallen Angel blood?
      September 10, 2017 8:13 AM MDT

Yet another weak, false and incomplete premise.

While it's true that there have been numerous brilliant scientists of German descent, your claim that their intellect and/or education is "unique" presupposes that brilliant scientists of other nationalities do NOT exist.  That is so laughable and implausible that in order to prove you're right would first of all require citations on your part, and secondly, rebuttals on your part to examples of other scientists with the same or more advanced levels of intellect and education. 
    __
      September 10, 2017 4:23 PM MDT

As Randy somewhat bluntly says, the Germans do not have a monopoly on intellect!

I think the differences are in social attitudes, perhaps the education system. I don't know how scientists and engineers are generally regarded by the Press, politicians and public in the USA. 

Their standing is quite low in Britain, largely through most of those listed never having been taught the purposes and value of the two related disciplines, by trades-people with purely practical skills in one trade, calling themselves "engineers"; by successive Governments sacrificing the Scientific Civil Service for purely economic doctrinal reasons; and by the wanton self-importance of the money trades and "media" clearly earning being paid considerably more than most professionals in science and engineering.

Oh, and pure snobbery that ranks these two key professions so low it prefers to call them "technology" - whatever that is. It must surely be among the most debased and meaningless of jargon words! I don't know if the US suffers from a similar problem.

Germany though, has an enviable reputation for considerable respect to both (the Engineer turns the Scientist's findings to practical ends). Obviously the Scientist has at least a degree, probably a PhD or equivalent; but in Germany, you cannot call yourself an Engineer without equivalent education and professional accreditation. 

Since both disciplines are very much related, this combination of system and social respect must encourage bright students to seek careers in either, and to go far in them.

So respect Germany for producing so many talented people, but she is not alone in doing so, and in fact the OP's second question unwittingly raises rather unfortunate historical undertones. Rather, ask what it that the country and its society as a whole do to nurture the talent.

September 14, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

You might want to check out https://discovery.org/ and take a look at some of their articles. It is the main organized promoter of Intelligent Design theory as contrasted to the theory of evolution. They want 'Intelligent Design' to win that debate (insofar as there is one), and in doing that they need to cast doubt on just about every theory produced by science over the past 200 years. so read and think about their articleles, and take a guess at the purose of every invalid argument you find. It is quite consistent, and do a lot to explain why opinions  in the US have become so bifurcated and absolute.
      September 14, 2017 5:39 PM MDT

Thank you JakobA.

I admit I was thinking more about the science behind manufacturing etc. than about the natural sciences, but you raise a question that's often bothered me.

You explain the discovery.org people want their "Intelligent Design" (which I understand is Old Testament fundamentalism wrapped up in suitably mis-quoted or even pseudo- science) to win.

My question is not of theology / philosophy, but more importantly, why these creationists are so determined and organised in pushing their agenda and trying to crush opposition to it?

- Are they making money from it?

- Are they just rather pathetic egoists but terrified of anything the least bit academic or intellectual?

- Or ditto but terrified of their God - or of some para-Christian cult that has them in its thrall? (Cults - by and for the terrified egoists above...)

- Are they driven by mere lust for power over others?

- Is there some darker motive, related to or in pursuit of, the power game?

I have challenged such people in the past, on EP and on here, and none seem able or willing to say. Interestingly, when I have submitted my own theory on their motives, no-one has denied it or explained how or why I am mistaken.... Silence is oft loquacious.

I know the commercial creationists started in America (which seems to delight in fostering odd-ball cults for some reason), but they have tried to muscle in on education in the UK too, after the Government misguidedly allowed more independent, commercially-run schools without proper control and supervision, under the strange publicity mantra of "parental choice". Err, it's not the parents who are being educated..... or brain-washed. 
      September 14, 2017 6:05 PM MDT

Because da ave vay's  on making yew fink.......   :O)D
      September 14, 2017 3:17 PM MDT