Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » History » Where were you on September 11, 2001?

Where were you on September 11, 2001?

Since no one has asked it yet, I figured I would.  I rarely talk about it.  Today, I don't have a problem with it.  

I was in lower/midtown Manhattan on my way to a meeting. Needless to say, the meeting was cancelled.  We were all trapped.  No cell phones, no telephones, no trains.  When we went outside, soot was falling from the sky onto our heads.  Traffic was at a standstill.  Cars trying to get out of town were gridlocked.  The sidewalks were packed with people all headed northbound, all intent on getting out.  I walked into the middle of 3rd Avenue and looked southbound down the street.  I could see smoke billowing up into the sky where I knew the Trade Center buildings were.  I had friends and neighbors who worked there.  And, I was dealing with a personal issue.  I didn't want to go to that meeting in the first place because my husband was at home deteriorating from Pancreatic cancer.  So, I was pretty much trying not to panic.  I went to Grand Central Station to wait.  It was also packed with bodies and you could barely move through the building.  I sat on the floor, against a wall that was opposite the Arrivals and Departures board, just watching and waiting.  It felt like an eternity. Finally, finally, late in the afternoon, trains started to depart.  I managed to squeeze my way onto the first train out of town that would take me home.  It was standing room only.  So many people, yet you could hear a pin drop.  No one said a word.  At one end of the car I was in, there were three people who were completely covered in soot from head to toe.   I don't know how, but they managed to survive and find their way from Ground Zero to that train.

Later, I was able to make contact with a close friend who worked in one of the towers.  She was okay.  Another friend, not as close, but someone I knew well, wasn't.  One of my neighbors who I knew only in passing, a young woman who was 8 months pregnant worked in one of the towers.  She never came home.  More and more people I spoke with, people I worked with, friends, all knew someone who didn't get out, who never made it home.

I apologize if this is disturbing or depressing anyone.  It wasn't meant to do that.  As I said, I rarely talk about it but obviously, today is a day of remembrance.  I count myself lucky that I wasn't in one of the towers that day.  We had a project going on in the second tower.  I could easily have been there checking on the work.  

So, please tell me, where were you when you heard the news? 

Posted - September 11, 2017

Responses

I was at home doing the housework. I remember i was dusting the dress of drawers in our bedroom when my late husband called and told me about the Twin Towers. I thought he was kidding, (he used to call me and kid with me all the time) He told me to turn of the TV and I did. I saw the news and couldnt believe my eyes. It was the most unbelievable thing ive ever seen.
      September 11, 2017 4:38 PM MDT

Thanks Carbon.  I appreciate your responding.  I know it's not a topic most people want to talk about.  Yes, it was unbelievable.

I was in the elevator on my way to the meeting, when a woman walked in and asked me if I had heard about the plane that flew into the World Trade Center.  This was a few minutes after the first plane hit.  My mind was elsewhere.  I was thinking of my husband and pissed off that I had to go into Manhattan that day.  I didn't know the woman and didn't know why she was talking to me.  So, my brain had some trouble making sense of what she was saying and recognizing that she was talking to me.  It just didn't register for a few seconds.  Then, it felt like my heart dropped and I felt the initial panic rising in my chest.  
      September 11, 2017 4:56 PM MDT

I hear you. It took two or three minutes before it sunk in for me too. The magnitude of this tragedy didnt allow us to accept it at first I guess. I wonder how many other people responded this way. 
      September 11, 2017 5:00 PM MDT

I think a lot of people were in a state of shock and reacted that way too.  I can still see the soot falling from the sky.  It looked like black snow.
      September 11, 2017 5:04 PM MDT

Your story made me cry. :/ Everything everyone went through that day still breaks my heart.

I was at home. Nothing too remarkable. I do remember my mom calling and telling me to turn on the news. I did, and remember how my legs just gave way while I watched. I'm on the other side of the country, and in an area that would likely never be a target, but the streets were empty that day. I worked at Arby's and I think we might have had 10 people or so come in the whole night. The crew and I just gathered around the TV. It was so surreal. I think everyone everywhere in the US turned into zombies for a few days. Nobody talked. Most of us weren't anywhere near a target site. Most of us didn't know anyone who was there. Even still, the tragedy united us. 
      September 11, 2017 5:04 PM MDT

It really did unite us. In the Midwest, my family and friends and I really didn't have much connection to NYC. I feel extremely blessed to have experienced just what I experienced that day, and to not have lived through it in real time or seen the towers fall or seen any one of the other tragedies that occurred from that horrific event. But I felt some sort of pull toward all the people who lived there and suffered. I still do.
      September 11, 2017 5:45 PM MDT

I'm sorry JA.  I didn't mean to upset anyone.  I haven't written about it before and I've spoken to very few people about it.  The bombings and my husband's death were inextricably linked in my mind.  I was pretty much living in a stunned state for a long time afterward.

Thank you for sharing your story.  
      September 11, 2017 6:02 PM MDT

I was in Toronto. Very eerie. The whole city seemed to stop and everyone was watching television screens wherever they could find them. The border was closed for a while. Didn't seem real but I was heading for New York afterward and when we crossed the George Washington Bridge, it became sickeningly real. An amputation, both literally and of our collective souls.
      September 11, 2017 5:10 PM MDT

Thanks Lyrical.  I think your analogy is spot on.
      September 11, 2017 6:07 PM MDT

I cannot imagine  going through that is NYC. Glad you made it.
    I was at home watching tv, but not network tv, so it did not cut in with the news. Someone called and said we are at war and to turn on the news. 
    I was also recovering from a csection so my older child was at my parents in another state. Then came the gas shortage. We were only allowed to get 10 gallons of gas. 
    We had a desiel so we went to a station with a 55gallon drum and the manager let us fill it. And we were off go to my parents. This post was edited by my2cents at September 12, 2017 4:18 AM MDT
      September 11, 2017 5:20 PM MDT

Thank you for you kind words m2c.  

It's interesting for me to read what people remember.  I don't remember the gas shortage.  You were lucky the manager allowed you to fill the drum.  Thanks for sharing your story.
      September 11, 2017 6:11 PM MDT

I don't think it was a real shortage...just people panicking and fillling up cause the price was gonna jump. So it ran some stations ran out and in my town at least they started rationing...it was for just a few days atferwards. I don't remember if it was just a local thing or larger.
      September 11, 2017 6:51 PM MDT

I was in school. I remember a teacher coming to the room, pulling my teacher out into the hall and whispering something. Then he came back in with tears in his eyes and said something - I can't remember what - but I knew at that moment that something really terrible was happening. As soon as we could we made it to a TV and we watched all day. I don't remember doing any other classes or even going home that day. I just remember mostly the faces of everyone around me who were absolutely silent and absolutely devastated. 
      September 11, 2017 5:41 PM MDT

It's very interesting for me to read about it from a  child's perspective.  Thank you for sharing mk.  
      September 11, 2017 6:15 PM MDT

Thank YOU for sharing. I'm sure it's surreal to remember it sometimes. My heart aches for both tragedies you experienced. 
      September 11, 2017 6:18 PM MDT

Thank you mk.  That's very kind of you.  I can't say it's surreal for me anymore.  It's now just another memory, albeit a bad one.  
      September 11, 2017 6:40 PM MDT

I had just left a morning job. On my way in the parking lot, I heard on the radio what had happened.
    I then drove home listening to the events on the Howard Stern radio program.
    I got home and eventually was sitting in my hallway listening to the Howard Stern radio program as he and his crew talked about it as it was happening-- they could see it happening, I believe.

To this very day -- until tonight when I saw a good chunk of a History Channel show "102 Minutes that Changed America" -- I have never seen film of the events/the Twin Towers part of the day. Seeing the images for the first time tonight had me gasping in horror and shock and sadness.

These are images no one should ever see or experience or die from.

I simply fail to comprehend anyone having such hatred to do such things to others. 
      September 11, 2017 9:47 PM MDT

Thank you for sharing your story Welby.  Yes, I can't comprehend the hatred either.  We live in a completely different world than the people who continue to attack our countries.  
      September 12, 2017 11:22 AM MDT

You're welcome, Harry.
    Though it's years later I realize, I'm touched and sorry to hear your very personally-attached-to-the-day experience.
      September 12, 2017 1:26 PM MDT

Thank you so much Welby.  I really appreciate it. :-*
      September 12, 2017 3:05 PM MDT

• I was 9-years-old getting ready for a day of 4th grade. My parents were watching the news that morning and I remember seeing it play out on the screen. I didn't fully appreciate the gravity of what had happened, but I remember even that age, feeling anger about it. 
      September 11, 2017 10:48 PM MDT

As I stated to mk, I find it interesting to hear it from the perspective of a child.  I think the fact you felt anger at such a young age, over confusion, shows that you understood much more than you think you do.  Thank you for sharing Nevan.
      September 12, 2017 11:29 AM MDT

Oh Harry...I'm speechless....what a traumatic narrative;((
    im really sorry!
    i was in India then, I just remember my brother calling us from New Orleans wherein he was doing his M.S. He asked us to switch on the tv and we did and were aghast at watching it all;((
      September 11, 2017 10:56 PM MDT

Thank you Veena.  I appreciate you and your kind words.  

This post was edited by Harry at September 18, 2017 3:12 PM MDT
      September 12, 2017 3:10 PM MDT