Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » History » Where were you on September 11, 2001?

Where were you on September 11, 2001?

Since no one has asked it yet, I figured I would.  I rarely talk about it.  Today, I don't have a problem with it.  

I was in lower/midtown Manhattan on my way to a meeting. Needless to say, the meeting was cancelled.  We were all trapped.  No cell phones, no telephones, no trains.  When we went outside, soot was falling from the sky onto our heads.  Traffic was at a standstill.  Cars trying to get out of town were gridlocked.  The sidewalks were packed with people all headed northbound, all intent on getting out.  I walked into the middle of 3rd Avenue and looked southbound down the street.  I could see smoke billowing up into the sky where I knew the Trade Center buildings were.  I had friends and neighbors who worked there.  And, I was dealing with a personal issue.  I didn't want to go to that meeting in the first place because my husband was at home deteriorating from Pancreatic cancer.  So, I was pretty much trying not to panic.  I went to Grand Central Station to wait.  It was also packed with bodies and you could barely move through the building.  I sat on the floor, against a wall that was opposite the Arrivals and Departures board, just watching and waiting.  It felt like an eternity. Finally, finally, late in the afternoon, trains started to depart.  I managed to squeeze my way onto the first train out of town that would take me home.  It was standing room only.  So many people, yet you could hear a pin drop.  No one said a word.  At one end of the car I was in, there were three people who were completely covered in soot from head to toe.   I don't know how, but they managed to survive and find their way from Ground Zero to that train.

Later, I was able to make contact with a close friend who worked in one of the towers.  She was okay.  Another friend, not as close, but someone I knew well, wasn't.  One of my neighbors who I knew only in passing, a young woman who was 8 months pregnant worked in one of the towers.  She never came home.  More and more people I spoke with, people I worked with, friends, all knew someone who didn't get out, who never made it home.

I apologize if this is disturbing or depressing anyone.  It wasn't meant to do that.  As I said, I rarely talk about it but obviously, today is a day of remembrance.  I count myself lucky that I wasn't in one of the towers that day.  We had a project going on in the second tower.  I could easily have been there checking on the work.  

So, please tell me, where were you when you heard the news? 

Posted - September 11, 2017

Responses

Harry, you described a shocking experience. No wonder you took a while to recover.

I wrote down my experience, so I would never forget. I was in France, on a golf course. When I got back home in the afternoon, I found my wife and a friend, two happy women who were always laughing and chatting but this time they were unusually silent. They were just sitting motionless in front of the TV, simply staring and my first thought was, ‘they are watching a horror, a disaster film’.

They told me that this was all real, live TV and that one tower had already collapsed. I just went numb. The only other time in my life that I had a similar feeling was when I was in my office, the phone rang, and someone told me that my father had just died. He was only 52 years old.

Anyway, as I was watching those chaotic images in horror, the smoke, dust, people covered in dust and soot running, sirens blaring everywhere, the scene became surreal especially when the moment came which I can only describe as a nightmare; a haunting experience.

I suddenly realised that amongst all the falling debris from the tower, there were also people falling. That nearly made me feel physically ill.
      September 12, 2017 3:50 AM MDT

Grasshopper!  It's been so long since I've seen you!  I'm so glad you found my question and chose to respond.  I've missed you.  Thank you so much for sharing your story here.  Most people I speak with don't remember the bodies falling.  I think we have a tendency to erase what we can't handle.
      September 12, 2017 3:17 PM MDT

Erasing the bad from the memory bank is a good thing, right? All the best.
      September 18, 2017 12:25 PM MDT

I think unconsciously erasing the memories make them easier to bear.   All the best to you too!  
      September 18, 2017 3:05 PM MDT

I was on a trip and so many things had gone wrong that I commented in my journal that it could only get better. I had met up with my Australian friend and was sitting with her in the hotel lobby, when another American I had met on the bus from the airport came in and told us what he had heard. I did not believe it and thought that it must have been an error in translation. When I realized it was true, I watched the TV news in Spanish, understanding only a few words. Flights were grounded and the hotel had a sign up regarding booking additional nights if you were stranded. I was on a two-week coach tour, but even so, I worried about getting home and what I would do if I couldn't. It was difficult not getting the full picture until three days later when we reached Costa del Sol where they had news in English. At that hotel, a room was set up for sports-watching with rows of chairs and a huge screen. People silently filed in and out as if it was a chapel. Being overseas was difficult because the viewpoint was different. I remember seeing a British newspaper with the headline 'dozen of Brits dead'.  The tour group consisted of people from several English-speaking countries, not just Americans. Many people were kind and concerned and others made comments like 'Americans just aren't used to it like we are' . I was relieved that I could get home on the same flight that I had already booked, since many flights were cancelled. 
      September 12, 2017 4:41 AM MDT

Jane, I can't fathom being in another country on a pleasure trip, having that happen, and not knowing what to expect when you travel back home.  Thank you so much for sharing your story.  It was extremely interesting to learn how people outside the states reacted to it in their interactions with you.
      September 12, 2017 3:21 PM MDT

At the time, I was counting on my head laying between two giant boobs. However, something bigger ended up happening when the Twin Towers fell.
      September 12, 2017 11:55 AM MDT

LOL! I'm sorry your dreams of laying between big boobs was shattered that day Zack.  Thanks for bringing some levity to this thread. :-)
      September 12, 2017 3:22 PM MDT