Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Are we born selfish and greedy and have to be taught how NOT to be or are we a blank slate at birth and have to be taught nowTO BE?

Are we born selfish and greedy and have to be taught how NOT to be or are we a blank slate at birth and have to be taught nowTO BE?

Posted - September 12, 2017

Responses

A, with rare instances of sharing with those we like.

September 12, 2017 6:54 AM MDT

Why is that I wonder?  Does that mean negative things are WITHIN our DNA at birth and we cannot escape it? Scary if true. Adorable picture by the way. Many thanks for posting it. We lost our beloved cat  Tigger July 25 so the more cat pictures I see the happier I am. Babies are cute too certainly. The two together? What could be better? Thank you for your reply Rose! :)
      September 12, 2017 7:02 AM MDT

My condolences on the loss of your kitty.
    I think the being selfish and greedy were hardwired into us so that we fight to keep from having others take advantage of us.
    It's not just humans though. I read an article in Scientific America where baby baboons would sit near an older "child" baboon. When the older child baboon had dug up a root or bug that the younger baboon could not get to; they would scream as if in pain and mom baboon would run up and scare off the older child baboon. Meanwhile, the little one happily eats whatever the older child baboon was forced to leave behind.
    So lying and treachery are not exclusive to humans. (more cat stuff for you)

It won't let me post this gif! This post was edited by RoseS at September 12, 2017 7:15 AM MDT
      September 12, 2017 7:13 AM MDT

Well, I think all living creatures are naturally selfish. They have to be to some extent if they want to survive.
      September 15, 2017 1:38 AM MDT