Discussion » Questions » Legal » Someone said "it is not a crime to lie. It is a crime to cover it up" or words to that effect. How does that make any sense at all?

Someone said "it is not a crime to lie. It is a crime to cover it up" or words to that effect. How does that make any sense at all?

Why isn't the crime the lie and the coverup a doubledown of that crime?

Posted - September 12, 2017

Responses

Depends on whom you are lying too...FBI, police, court, all illegal to lie to.
      September 12, 2017 5:01 AM MDT

The FBI and police don't always tell the truth. The lawyers can tell all the lies they want at court. 
      September 12, 2017 5:09 AM MDT

Lawyers are not under oath.
    I said you cannot lie to police/FBI...yes they are allowed to lie to you if they feel the need.
      September 12, 2017 5:15 AM MDT

Sadly I did NOT pay attention to the source of those words m2c. I do know it was a lawyer who said it and it just made no sense to me. Can something be illegal yet not a crime? I'm gonna ask that. See my problem? As I'm talking to folks more questions pop in my head that I have to ask. It is a constant thing for me. AARRGGHH! Thank you for your reply. Now here's something that didn't make sense either. When DonJohnJr was "interviewed" for 5 hours by intelligence staff he was NOT UNDER OATH. But when he appears before Congress in open session he will be under oath. What happens if he lied when he wasn't under oath and tells the truth when he is? Or worse what if he lied when he wasn't under oath and kept up the lie when he was?  What will befall him? What  SHOULD befall him? Thank you for your reply! :)
      September 12, 2017 5:16 AM MDT

Perjury is of course a crime, assuming of course that the perpetrator is found out and the charges stick. 

Unless the person gives inconsistent evidence it comes down to whose word do the authorities take and are they prejudiced themselves. 

This post was edited by Malizz at September 12, 2017 5:24 AM MDT
      September 12, 2017 5:20 AM MDT

Truth and lying don't seem to be clear-cut Malizz. All liars are wrong to do so and all truth-tellers are right.  HOWEVER another Answermugger said that if the FBI/police feel the need they can lie to you. Now how is that fair? Why isn't a lie a lie no matter who tells it? I'm gonna ask that question.  Thank you for your reply.
      September 12, 2017 5:23 AM MDT

I know they put Martha Stewert in jail and never proved insider trading. But went to jail for lying to police.

://www.nbcnews.com/id/6205192/ns/business-corporate_scandals/t/stewart-begins-serving-jail-term/

September 12, 2017 5:24 AM MDT

Really? I did not know that m2c. I KNOW she went to jail but I thought it was because she was caught dead-to-rights on what she had been accused of. Not that she had lied. Of course in retrospect it seems so stupid to have put her in prison for that. Others have done so much worse and walk away from it free and clear.  Thank you for your reply and the link. Gosh that seems so long ago. Those were days of innocence compared to today. SIGH. I miss them! :(
      September 12, 2017 5:38 AM MDT

Covering it up is known as perverting the course of justice.
      September 12, 2017 6:12 AM MDT