Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Is there anything that can be done to make iron supplements work faster or boost energy while waiting?

Is there anything that can be done to make iron supplements work faster or boost energy while waiting?

I've been anemic for as long as I can remember and I take iron supplements. I've been super exhausted lately, and it finally dawned on me to check my supplements to see if something was up with them. The store was out of my regular brand last time, so I bought what they had, not realizing it was half the dose I normally take. Mystery solved. I started back on my normal dose yesterday. Last time I started supplements, it took two full weeks before I felt better- and that was on target for what my doctor said- 2-3 weeks. 

I don't want to be tired for two weeks. :'( Do any of you have experience with anemia? Is there anything that can be done while waiting on your stores to build back up?

Failing that, what are the odds I can get away with staying in bed for the next two weeks straight? 

Posted - September 18, 2017

Responses

Drink blood, become a vampire. Or melt down the iron from an iron bar. Or drink some Irn Bru - the Scots can't get enough of it! 

This post was edited by righty1 at September 19, 2017 4:49 PM MDT
      September 18, 2017 8:04 PM MDT

That stuff is nasty! :o
    So, I guess I need to find a blood donor. What are you up to tonight, Righty? ;)
      September 18, 2017 8:36 PM MDT

Do you like spinach, broccoli, beans, peas? Getting iron from your food rather than the supplements will work faster and is better for you, too. Also, if you eat foods with vitamin C also, it helps your body absorb the iron better. (broccoli has both iron and vit C, so it's a win/win)
      September 18, 2017 8:12 PM MDT

Thank you. I always get lots of Vitamin C when I make homemade Bahama Mamas. You just gave me an excuse to drink! Woohoo! I will have a bowl of broccoli on the side. :D
      September 18, 2017 8:37 PM MDT

Alcohol consumption can actually enhance iron absorption, so rock on! :)

September 18, 2017 8:43 PM MDT

OMG It's true. :o https://www.livestrong.com/article/554305-how-does-drinking-beer-affect-an-overload-of-iron/ 

If you see a flurry of obscure posts from me the next few nights, I'm blaming you. ;)
      September 18, 2017 8:45 PM MDT

A couple of weeks is about right. Your body need the iron to make more red blood cells and making those take time, Especially when making lots. Dont take extra pills to 'get more iron'. Too much Iron is as bad as too little.
      September 18, 2017 8:39 PM MDT

Why can't my body make them faster? :/
      September 18, 2017 8:42 PM MDT

I know you are a "Powerhouse Person", but some things do take time and you just have to live with it.

If results can be achieved faster It would need an entirely different method than Iron supplements. A possibility could be getting ALL you blod replaced with blood from other people. Ask your doctor what the cost of doing that is? That would probably make you more energetic for the rest of the day, There is a continuous process of red blood cells decaying and new ones forming. Anemia means you body do not quite balance those processes properly. Sad, but true.

One thing you can and should do is to learn how to read a bottle of iron supplement so you can check if the clerk at the  drugstore have given you the right kind of pills. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at September 19, 2017 4:52 PM MDT
      September 18, 2017 9:07 PM MDT

Thank you.
      September 18, 2017 9:10 PM MDT

A quick snort of coke should have you up and about in no time :-))
      September 18, 2017 11:22 PM MDT

lol I suppose I should have specified legal options. Thank you though. :)
      September 18, 2017 11:29 PM MDT

Do not OD on iron pills.  Wait and let your body naturally do it's thing.  Make sure you are addressing the body and not just the iron.  Meaning, you need to drink plenty of pure, good water.  For starters.

Then no junk food.  Eat fresh whenever possible.  Fruits, vegetables, red meat, liver, red Alaskan salmon, tuna, that kind of thing is really important.

Take Brewer's Yeast.  It is loaded with Vitamin B and iron.  Very good for you and very good for sustaining energy levels.  A bottle of Omega 3's are good too and not expensive.

Peanut butter and hard boiled eggs are your friends.   So are dark green vegetables. 

I realize you may be on a budget, but it is very good to take more than just a multi-vitamin.  But that is the most important foundation.  Start with that and then add iron and extras like C or D3 and all the rest of the ones that can benefit you by adding a little extra.

Then you will wake up again.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 19, 2017 4:53 PM MDT
      September 18, 2017 11:37 PM MDT

That sounds like a lot of work, especially when I don't have energy. lol I appreciate the tips though. :)
      September 19, 2017 3:29 PM MDT

• Aww..sorry to hear that you suffer from anemia.
    Does it really make so run down that you stay in bed?
    That sucks.
    I don't know much about anemia other than the basic info, but I really hope you feel well soon. : (
      September 19, 2017 12:26 AM MDT

It's not a huge deal. I'm just a whiner. I think it was Sunday that I stayed in bed until noon and then seriously began wondering if I could get away with remaining in bed and watching Netflix all day. I do like to sleep in, but I'm not normally so lazy. I haven't felt like working the last week or two either. Just lethargic. I assumed it was my lifestyle catching up with me, so realizing it was low iron was kind of a relief. I can go back to popping my pills and be fine. :)
      September 19, 2017 3:33 PM MDT

How many mg do you take?
    Just wondering
    I take 27 mg do you take more?
      September 19, 2017 6:44 AM MDT

Yes. My doctor told me I should take SlowFe, and to stick with that brand. She said it's absorbed better and is time-released. It's 45mg. Last time I was at the store, they didn't have it in stock, so I just grabbed whatever was on the shelf next to it, and I think it's in the realm of the dose you take. I want to say I switched to NatureMade or one of the other common supplement brands.. They aren't designed the same and have less Iron. Maybe I would have been ok if I took two, but I didn't play around with it. I just went out and got what I'm used to. 
      September 19, 2017 3:38 PM MDT

If I were you, I would try to find out why you are so anemic.  There may be an underlying problem that needs to be treated rather than the symptom (tiredness).
      September 19, 2017 2:05 PM MDT

I have the trifecta. My body doesn't absorb iron well, I don't like meat, and I bleed way too much. It's something I've already discussed with my doctor and even underwent surgery to correct, but the surgery failed. :/ At least with the supplements, I generally feel good, so I just need to be smart about taking them.
      September 19, 2017 3:43 PM MDT

My apologies if I was too personal in my reply.  Now I see why you asked. 
      September 19, 2017 8:28 PM MDT

More sex. It will take your mind off the problem.
      September 19, 2017 3:52 PM MDT

Hmm... I bet if I find a man with a high-iron diet, I might get iron too. Now, scientifically speaking only, because this is the general area, any guess as to how much iron could be absorbed that way? ;)
      September 19, 2017 4:09 PM MDT

No, but try it anyway---by definition, it's win-win research.
      September 19, 2017 4:15 PM MDT