Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Are you a Dylan Thomas fan? Do you agree with how he thinks our lives should end?

Are you a Dylan Thomas fan? Do you agree with how he thinks our lives should end?

"Old age should burn and rave at close of day. Rage, rage against the dying of the light........do not go gentle into that good night"

Will you rage and rave until the end or will peaceful acceptance envelop you?

Posted - September 20, 2017

Responses

I rather like that Bob Dylan Thomas a Becket poem that goes:
    I've often thought, and often said,
    The pain won't stop until you're dead.
    He's assuming the premise of course, no one can know for certain. You just can't trust anything these poets say, can you?
      January 18, 2018 9:29 AM MST

My goodness you resurrected a rather old question, all things considered. I think poets are more trustworthy than most human beings. Taken as a species unique to mankind whom would you trust more...politicians, cops, corporate leaders, religious folks, snake oil salesmen? Poetry rings true or it wouldn't be poetry. If the world ends with a whimper that would sadden me. I want it to be a BIG BANG BOOM! The world began according to quantum physicists with a BIG BANG. Why should it go out quietly/silently/mutely? Thank you for your reply Stemmata and are you related to Stigmata? Happy Thursday! :)
      January 18, 2018 12:52 PM MST

Though I can't say for sure, I would like to think I would go gentle into the good night. I've spent too much of my life internally anxious, a form of raging to my way of thinking. I'm journeying to more gentle thinking/feeling and anything gentle along these lines would be OK with me I think.

Unless I was on a roller coaster when I died - - I'd be raging with delight!!
    :)
      April 21, 2018 4:30 PM MDT

I'm curious about what comes next WQ. I don't know if you are open to "mediums" but there is one named Tyler who is in his early 20's. He has a show where he visits people and never knows in advance whom it will be and often doesn't recognize the celebrities. Unless they are all in on it and it is scripted he seems to give them peace and comfort from some form of "communicating" with their loved ones who have passed on. It is very seductive to think that the here and now isn't all there is. Being reunited with loved ones in some hereafter. Having them watch over you and know what is going in your life is comforting. Knowing they are okay. He seems to tap into specific knowledge that those he reads swear he would have no way of knowing. It's enticing to say the least. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Sunday!  :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 22, 2018 5:03 AM MDT
      April 22, 2018 3:39 AM MDT