Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Why was it (and still is in some places) customary for people in the US to take their hats off in a building?

Why was it (and still is in some places) customary for people in the US to take their hats off in a building?

I remember in public grade school they hated for us to wear any type of "headgear". It was so stupid.

Posted - June 25, 2016

Responses

not sure why but some people still believe that

June 25, 2016 3:55 PM MDT

• Yup. Agree.
      June 25, 2016 3:56 PM MDT

• It was a gesture of respect to take one's hat off inside---mostly for men and children when I was growing up. Women once covered their heads in church (Catholic), for similar reasons to Muslim women wearing the hijab, believe it or not.

June 25, 2016 4:03 PM MDT

• It was called protocol ... you never wear a hat indoors... at least for guys ... women could

June 25, 2016 4:07 PM MDT

• Bijoux!!!! How are you!?!!
      June 25, 2016 4:11 PM MDT

• Psh. Still silly
      June 25, 2016 4:11 PM MDT

• Ah... you've just fallen into the oldest trap ... the past is a foreign country, they do things differently there ...
    :)

June 25, 2016 5:19 PM MDT

• I'm well, thank you. How about you ? It's good to see you. :))

June 25, 2016 5:42 PM MDT

• There's no real practical reason for it. Hats and coats are just considered outdoor wear, so you don't wear outdoor wear inside; hence coat racks and hat racks. 

June 25, 2016 7:37 PM MDT

It is not something that began in the U.S. It was passed on from European tradition. Men of arms were to remove their head armor as they entered. It showed a sense of ease and trust and a gesture of respect. That tradition remained strong in the military. Since uniform headwear could take many forms, such as a service cap, a saucer hat, a fatigue ballcap, or a helmet, the rule was to take of your "headgear" indoors, like in the mess hall, and always wear it outdoors and in public venues. People with exposure to service may maintain that tradition and strongly recommend it for others.

As women were generally outside the profession of arms, they were allowed to wear their hats as they wished. As they became included in the profession of arms, they were to follow the profession's hat rules. 

http://emilypost.com/advice/hats-off-hat-etiquette-for-everyone/

June 25, 2016 8:03 PM MDT

• I suspect that because a hat is usually worn to keep one's head warm while outside, wearing it inside is a sign of being anxious to leave.  This is conjecture on my part. 

June 25, 2016 8:14 PM MDT
  • D&D

It's a sign of respect for women and men and children to remove their face and head concealing gear when speaking to you.

June 25, 2016 8:19 PM MDT

• Mayhaps. But this does not answer the question why it is considered respectful.

June 25, 2016 8:23 PM MDT

Hats and coats are considered outdoor wear but then again so are pants and tops.

June 25, 2016 11:27 PM MDT

It is a way to show respect.   Some cultures insist you take off your shoes when you enter a domicile.  Different strokes. 

When I was young we were required to WEAR a hat in church if we were female.  I am sure that was passed down for centuries and know one knew why. 

June 25, 2016 11:38 PM MDT