Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Sports » Packers ask fans to lock arms during Thursday game. How do you think the fans will respond?

Packers ask fans to lock arms during Thursday game. How do you think the fans will respond?

"Those of us joining arms on Thursday will be different in so many ways, but one thing that binds us together is that we are all individuals who want to help make our society, our country and our world a better place,” the statement explains. “Intertwined, we represent the many people who helped build this country, and we are joining together to show that we are ready to continue to build. . . .

“Join us this Thursday by locking arms with whoever you’re with, stranger or loved one, wherever you are — intertwined and included — in this moment of unification"

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/26/packers-ask-fans-to-lock-arms-on-thursday-night/

Posted - September 28, 2017

Responses

I'll find out soon...the game starts shortly.
      September 28, 2017 6:05 PM MDT

It's at Lambeau Field. You bet your sweet bippy they'll be arm in arm. Makes me proud to be from Wisconsin. If it was any other state, I wouldn't be able to guess, but Wisconsinites are unique and Packers fans aren't like other fans. That's their team. They'll unite. 
      September 28, 2017 6:15 PM MDT

From comments I seen on different sites....it is not well recieved. I am googling now.  I am not watching. 
      September 28, 2017 7:31 PM MDT

The Packers fans received it well, but not everyone everywhere. That's a key distinction. From what I can tell, about half the fans did and half the fans didn't. I don't think that's a bad turnout because the anthem is revered there- as in, I'd expect about half of them to feel like the only acceptable thing to do would be to stand with their hands on their hearts. That's tradition and what the whole thing was about anyway. The other thing is that the whole crowd was chanting "USA" just before the anthem, and I think that was probably the greater fan base stepping up- including those that chose to honor the anthem in the traditional way. 
      September 28, 2017 10:02 PM MDT

Idk, I did not watch. But from what I googled most are saying it was more lopsided than that with majority with hand on heart. Even liberal ESPN said vast majority did not lock arms. But hard to really tell unless there as media always spins....
      September 29, 2017 4:50 AM MDT

That's the state that wanted Trump in the first place.  Their heads are filled with cheese.
      September 28, 2017 6:32 PM MDT

To be fair, he only won by 1% there and he won by 4% in Arizona.

https://www.politico.com/mapdata-2016/2016-election/results/map/president/ This post was edited by Just Asking at September 28, 2017 7:45 PM MDT
      September 28, 2017 7:01 PM MDT

Sounds like most did not but a few fans did according to ESPN. 
      September 28, 2017 7:37 PM MDT

I'd assume some would lock arms and some would not. 
    :)
    And either way people choose, I would assume it would all be peaceful and calm.
      September 28, 2017 7:38 PM MDT

Oh, I see you already posted the results.
     I do not say shame on the NFL. That's just me, though.

Some of those Godfearing flag loving Americans are, I know by fact, some of the same people who have gotten in my face and who have damned me to hell for simply being gay. And a bended knee also gets them all riled up? Fine.

I vented beyond the scope of your question, I realize, my2cents. Sorry about that. It's a fine question you've asked. Heck, I hardly ever answer sports-related questions.
    :)

And regardless of that sign,  I know of several vets who are not offended about all this broo-haha. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 29, 2017 7:46 AM MDT
      September 28, 2017 7:43 PM MDT

I don't damn anybody...thats not my job. And I don't want it.
      September 28, 2017 7:53 PM MDT

I am a twenty year vet and I promised to protect the Constitution, including the first Amendment. Fans can scratch their butts during the Anthem...I don't care.
      September 29, 2017 7:48 AM MDT

would expwct a little over 50% will lock arms
      September 28, 2017 8:12 PM MDT

No idea.  I would stand, put my hand over my heart,  and sing just like I always do.  The chances of me touching my neighbor are close to zero.
      September 28, 2017 11:20 PM MDT

• I kinda hoped so.  I don't really think the NFL is the proper venue to protest.  It wreaks of grand standing and self attention seaking,  but the whole idea of a 
    President saying someone should be forced to observe something stinks to high heaven.   It runs counter to what the flag stands for and what he said is a much greater form of disrespect for it by leaps and bounds.
      September 29, 2017 5:19 AM MDT