Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » Parents control you 100% when you're a kid. As an adult you are responsible for whom you become. Are you the same person you were then?

Parents control you 100% when you're a kid. As an adult you are responsible for whom you become. Are you the same person you were then?

What was the child like and how is that different from the adult you are today? Vastly different or about the same. I don't mean that you are childish. But your parents trained you, educated you about life and how close are your beliefs now to what you were taught then?

Posted - October 1, 2017

Responses

no, i dont think anyone is
      October 1, 2017 4:52 PM MDT

I'm vastly different in most of my political beliefs, but the things that really bring joy to my life now are in the same vein as the things that made me happy when I was younger. I thank my parents for letting me explore those things. In general, I think this is probably how most people are. When we grow up and see the world, we learn what we value as far as relations to other people and how we view society. But I think we all retain some things from childhood, good or bad. 
      October 3, 2017 10:03 PM MDT

I'm pretty close to the person I was as a child. My political views exactly mirror those of my parents. They were hardworking people with solid values and a desire to help those in need. So of course they were Democrats. I've taken it a step further. I'm a Liberal. I believe that we should help one another and that I am my brother's keeper. I don't understand people who are selfish, self-centered, uncaring. They don't understand me. That makes us even! Thank you for your reply mk! :)
      October 4, 2017 2:31 AM MDT

I believe that as well. One of my parents is definitely more conservative/Republican/whatever you want to call it, and we were always at odds. Why do you think some children stray from their parents' beliefs and some stay aligned?
      October 4, 2017 7:31 PM MDT

Sadly there are many reasons why families become estranged. It could be that they disapprove of your friends/lifestyle as well as politics. I think some folks are unable to separate out the things upon which they disagree. For instance our family/friends are basically all Liberals. However one of them is a die-hard Republican. So you know what? We NEVER discuss politics when he is among us nor does he. Why go into the one area of intense beliefs when there are a zillion other things we can talk about? So we don't. But there are folks who are totally unable or unwilling to do that.  So estrangement occurs. When you're a kid you will take a lot  but as an adult you don't have to be silent and compliant. Thank you for your reply mk! :)
      October 5, 2017 3:50 AM MDT

I would like to think that I have matured considerably since I was a child. 1corinthians 13:11 says: "when I was a child, I used to speak as a child, to think as a child, to reason as a child; but now that I have become a man, I have done away with the traits of a child."
      October 14, 2017 10:12 PM MDT