Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » I know drinking alcohol can mitigate pain. I have heard that smoking marijuana or eating marijuana-laced food can do that too. Why?

I know drinking alcohol can mitigate pain. I have heard that smoking marijuana or eating marijuana-laced food can do that too. Why?

Posted - October 1, 2017

Responses

It can. (personal experience)  I don't know why and I am too lazy to look it up... Maybe Sharonna knows.
      October 1, 2017 10:17 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Ele and Happy Monday. I always wonder how things are discovered. Who was first to figure something out?  They must be very brave to ingest/inhale something that could be  poisonous like certain mushrooms.
      October 2, 2017 2:53 AM MDT

Tomatoes come to mind.
      October 2, 2017 7:23 AM MDT

They suppress nerve activity (helps people with chronic nerve pain due to injury or surjury)
      October 1, 2017 10:18 AM MDT

I always wonder how things were discovered? How was it figured out?  Who made alcohol out of grain or whatever? Who put "weed" in their mouth and chewed it or figured out how to smoke it and then paid attention to the effects? All very mysterious to me. Thank you for your helpful answer ally and Happy Monday to thee! :)
      October 2, 2017 2:55 AM MDT

• Marijuana only helps with certain types of pain.   Mostly chronic pain,  it does little for acute pain such as a freshly broken bone or burn for example.  Coincidentally opiates have the opposite relief for pain.   Great for acute pain but not so effective for chronic and can actually increase sensitivity for chronic pain  conditions.
    They both work by triggering receptor sites that are linked to pain and or pain suppression.   Albeit completely and different and related receptor sites.   Long story short they mimic the actions of our own internal biochemicals.

Alcohol can dull both kinds of pain but in a different way.  Alcohol slows down all nerve activity and by doing so makes the nerves responsible for sensation less active and responsive.
      October 1, 2017 12:30 PM MDT

Thanks, Dr. G.
      October 1, 2017 3:36 PM MDT

not sure why but it doesnt surprise me
      October 1, 2017 3:32 PM MDT

It's a natural analgesic. Queen Victoria chewed it to help ease her menstrual cramps.
      October 1, 2017 5:52 PM MDT

I did not know that. I guess these things are happened upon by chance? I mean who would chew or figure out how to  smoke "weed"? It's a very brave thing to do. Put something in your mouth that could kill you. Could be poisonous like certain types of mushrooms.  And who figured out how to roast coffee beans, grind them up, add water and brew them? Who figured out yeast and flour makes bread that rises? It all amazes me. Methinks I amaze easily!  Thank you for your reply Sbf! :)
      October 2, 2017 2:51 AM MDT