Active Now

Spunky
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Why do so many people have trouble separating individual people from a group?

Why do so many people have trouble separating individual people from a group?

(In terms of actions, behaviors, and mannerisms.)

Posted - June 25, 2016

Responses

• Is easier to generalise
      June 25, 2016 5:08 PM MDT

June 25, 2016 5:23 PM MDT

Stereotyping is cognitively efficient and the downsides (especially if one doesn't care how stupid one looks/is) are usually minor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow

June 25, 2016 5:34 PM MDT

• Because It's our nature.

June 25, 2016 5:38 PM MDT

• For many, it's too much work to see people as individuals.

June 25, 2016 5:40 PM MDT

Sad, but true.

June 25, 2016 5:52 PM MDT

• Humans like to generalize and categories; it allows us to make sense of the world a lot more easily. At the same time, it isn't that hard to separate individuals from the group. If people were only willing to expend a little extra effort now and then...

June 25, 2016 9:13 PM MDT
  • Bez

Examples, please.

June 25, 2016 9:25 PM MDT
  • Bez

Who is "our" referring to? I hope that doesn't include me.

June 25, 2016 9:25 PM MDT

If it is a group of people who happen to be Gay or Black,  Irish or Italian, there is no rhyme or reason to group them together, because they all have individual traits that make them unique despite their similarities.

But if it is an individual that belongs to a particular group because that is his/her INTENT to join up with said group, you are DANGED TOOTIN' I am going to judge them.   If it is a hate group?  I am going to view them as a criminals, all of them, despite their differences.  They have the criminal element as a similarity.    If it is a group that is trying to do good, I am going to admire him/her.  They have the desire to do good as their saving grace. 

June 25, 2016 9:27 PM MDT
  • Bez

Just because it is "easier", that doesn't make it right. One could say that it is "easier" to steal money than to go out and earn it, but does that make stealing it right? No, of course it doesn't. So why is it different to generalise? Why is that socially acceptable just because it is "easier"? LOGICAL answers only, please.

June 25, 2016 9:28 PM MDT
  • Bez

From my experiences, the downsides of stereotyping are usually extremely major, with the one exception of something you personally don't believe in but I have found by experience to be true (I think you know what I mean).

June 25, 2016 9:32 PM MDT
  • Bez

How is it "too much work" to see people as individuals? I find it too much work to tar people with a brush that doesn't tar them correctly.

June 25, 2016 9:34 PM MDT

• Oh no, certainly not.

June 26, 2016 6:27 AM MDT

• I agree with most of whAt You say here , Q, but I would take it further. I would include ALL groups.  

We judge, that's what we evolved to do. For safety and for the preservation of resources, we evolved to judge the strange looking people over on the other side of the valley. 

If I'm broke down in my old neighborhood at two in the morning and I see a group of loud youths coming my way, I'm not going to be wondering which one is the nicest, G-d forbids I may be considered judgemental. 

I have preconceived ideas about every group and nationality, we all do, .  . well, ..  . maybe not that guy,  . ..  most of us at least. 

I liked the way you turned the judging not only on the "bad" groups, but also on the "good" groups. That was clever.

June 26, 2016 8:20 AM MDT

June 26, 2016 9:34 AM MDT

@Andy B -- No, you'll have to be explicit.

And I stand by my statement, because it is cognitively valid. Stereotyping is FUNDAMENTAL to human cognition. Without it, you would have to treat every individual person, animal,  or inanimate object as a singular case. You would be cognitively overwhelmed if, for example, you didn't stereotype how doors function. Every door would be a new intellectual challenge.

Yes, sometimes stereotyping can lead to major problems. But even in complex social situtions that isn't usually the case. If I stereotype all Lower Elbonians as thieves and liars because one cheated me once, the downside of not trusting otherwise perfectly nice Lower Elbonians does not necessarily  cause me much harm beyond some social isolation and occasional embarassement. And if I find a group of fellow Lower Elbonian-haters (say, at a Trump rally...;-D...), it might even provide me social benefits.

I await your rebuttal.

June 26, 2016 9:56 AM MDT

First of all, Grass,  do you understand that when I do that ...USE EXAMPLES like that,  I mean all groups?  Did you think I meant only those 4?  Come on. 

ALL GROUPS OF COURSE.  JEEZ.   

ALL GROUPS  OF COURSE?????????

Why would I argue for just 4 random groups?

June 26, 2016 9:59 AM MDT

• Because you.

June 26, 2016 10:04 AM MDT

To some people, they can't see anything beyond their prejudices. Unfortunate as it is.

June 26, 2016 10:13 AM MDT

We're social critters, us humans. I think this need to typecast is a thought-inversion similar to the one that makes us desire to be mostly in the company of humans similar to ourselves. Perhaps it's done with no thought at all, many negative happenings in the brain / perception arise from just that... not dedicated thought, rather the lack thereof.

June 26, 2016 10:22 AM MDT

Generalizations make it hard for some people to understand a group is made up bu different individuals.

June 26, 2016 12:53 PM MDT

probably cause they want everyone to be just like them

June 26, 2016 8:46 PM MDT