Active Now

my2cents
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Legal » More dumbhead ahead. Fully automatic weapons are illegal. Why are "bump stocks" to make semi-automatic guns fully automatic LEGAL?

More dumbhead ahead. Fully automatic weapons are illegal. Why are "bump stocks" to make semi-automatic guns fully automatic LEGAL?

Posted - October 3, 2017

Responses

Where do you get this BS?

Fully automatic weapons ARE legal to own and to use. I know several people that LEGALLY own them. The caveat is that Title II weapons (like firearms that are able to go "full auto") are just much more tightly controlled/regulated. And because of that (and a couple of other reasons) they're MUCH more expensive to purchase (all that cumulative Treasury Department Taxing and background checking, can't transfer ownership unless those taxes are paid AND Treasury approves of the ownership change).

Aside from the fact that "bump stocks" don't make a weapon fully automatic despite what you may have read, their purpose is a total mystery to me. I have no desire whatsoever to have one. In fact, I have no desire to even own a semi-automatic rifle let alone a fully automatic weapon, but to each their own. (I'm a bolt or lever/bolt action man myself.) Weapons operating in full auto mode are notoriously inaccurate to begin with (the barrel "walks" off the target due to the repeated recoil and then there's that barrel distortion caused by the heat generated from each bullet passing through that barrel). The bump stock adds yet another exponential variable to that equation. 
      October 3, 2017 11:46 AM MDT

not sure but they need to do away with weapons altogether
      October 3, 2017 4:48 PM MDT