Active Now

Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » How can I grind my coffee beans without a coffee grinder?

How can I grind my coffee beans without a coffee grinder?

I haven't replaced my coffee grinder that caught on  fire yet, and probably won't for a few more days. How can I grind up the beans without one? I tried beating the tar out of a ziplock bag of them using a rolling pin, but the coffee came out weak. :/ 

Posted - October 4, 2017

Responses

October 4, 2017 9:55 PM MDT

Getting back to the question.................try two stones.  
      October 4, 2017 9:50 PM MDT

Good idea/
      October 4, 2017 9:55 PM MDT

People ask questions around here?
      October 4, 2017 9:56 PM MDT

Ew. Im leaving.

Image result for gifs of women falling in high heels
      October 4, 2017 10:00 PM MDT

You might be able to wing it with a blender. I have a Braun coffee bean mill that is basically a miniature blender. Don't expect great results though, not compared to a good burr-type mill. (May not be a real issue if you're using paper filters but maybe an issue with a French press or a percolator.) And be careful with those burr-type mills too. I've got one of those that pulverizes some of the beans (can't remember the brand offhand).

If you can find a grocery store going out of business you might be able to buy a real mill from them at a decent price (one of the bargains to be had when The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company folded a couple of years ago (it was only a couple of years, wasn't it?).

If you don't mind using one driven by an Armstrong motor a decent mill can be had, mail order, from Lehmans General Store in Kidron, OH

https://www.lehmans.com/search?w=coffee+mill

Some of their mills even have enough Moxie to handle corn and other grains if you're into making your own tortillas or even your own whole grain breads (that whole grain flour that's available at the grocers really isn't whole grain as the germ has been removed so it doesn't turn rancid on the shelf) Some of their bigger mills are even available with an electric motor drive or can have an electric motor added to them. Admittedly some of their bigger mills are pretty pricey, especially if you're only making a couple of cups of coffee every day, but they should last forever. They do have some less expensive offerings too.

(These guys cater to the Amish and Mennonite communities so they have a lot of "old timey" stuff, kitchen products that our grandparents used, even kerosene fired refrigerators. It's fun to look through the WEB site and their catalogs even if you don't make a purchase.) This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at October 4, 2017 10:07 PM MDT
      October 4, 2017 9:57 PM MDT