Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Slartibartfast
Randy D
my2cents
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Some folks can't seem to get a point across without being insulting. Their vocabularies are very limited. Do they lack dictionaries?

Some folks can't seem to get a point across without being insulting. Their vocabularies are very limited. Do they lack dictionaries?

Do you love dictionaries? Do you visit them a lot and think they're useful, friendly, supportive? I know they are inanimate repositories of words but it is words after all that are required for communication/conversation. Unless you speak sign language of course but even so aren't words being communicated by the position of the hands?

Posted - October 5, 2017

Responses

Good point. You insult people practically every day, those whose political perspectives are polar opposite to yours, for instance. When is that going to stop?  Happy hypocrisy!

:|

October 5, 2017 6:41 AM MDT

• Some folks can't seem to get a point across without using profanity. Their vocabularies are very limited. Do they lack dictionaries?

"Ever tell someone to "go suck an egg"? What the he** does that mean anyway?"

"The Donald John may not be prez of Puerto Rico but he sure as he** is prez of Las Vegas. Didja know he OWNS a hotel there?"

"The jacka** speaks. What does he say? He thanks the Puerto Guv for "not playing politics"! My a **. Trump in action. Cute ain't it?"
      October 5, 2017 11:16 AM MDT

• "Some folks can't seem to get a point across without being insulting." Very true. Is this a confession or another Freudian slip on your part?
      October 5, 2017 9:51 PM MDT

Guilt complex? Guilty conscience"
      October 5, 2017 9:59 PM MDT

Why do I need a dictionary to insult you?

October 5, 2017 11:09 PM MDT

You missed the point of the question Shar. I must have stated it poorly. If those with limited knowledge of words had dictionaries and consulted them they would broaden their knowledge, increase their access to words and find some they could use to communicate that were not insulting. Those with limited vocabularies don't have a "deep bench" language wise. If you only know 100 words your communication skills are limited to those 100 words. If you know 100,000 words the world opens up to you. Of course you can still be insulting. But your choices are many and you might choose to take another route. If you have $5 what you are able to buy is limited. If you have  $5000  your choices grow and aren't as constricted. Same thing with language.  The more words you know the less limited you are verbally.
      October 6, 2017 2:13 AM MDT