Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » What some people put up with in the workplace is amazing. Resilient in the face of insuperable odds. What's the worst job you ever had? Why?

What some people put up with in the workplace is amazing. Resilient in the face of insuperable odds. What's the worst job you ever had? Why?

Posted - October 5, 2017

Responses

Working in a punch press factor - pretty much all of the foremen were missing fingers or hands - they would have an accident then get promoted as part of their compensation - I didn't want to be a foremen so I quite. Cheers!
      October 5, 2017 2:18 PM MDT

Piecework, I'm betting . . . . Press operators that are paid "by the piece" have a tendency to allow the safety devices to "clear" their appendages from the throat of the press rather than actually pull hands back BEFORE tramping on that foot pedal. All it takes is a linkage pin to fall out or a cable to break (or be twisted) when the safeties are first set up. A 75-ton press with a half-ton die can be VERY unforgiving of such mistakes. I'm betting that those foremen were press operators until an accident and the company "promoted" them to foremen rather than "pink-slip" them into the unemployment line . . . 
      October 5, 2017 2:29 PM MDT

Smart move, Nanoose! That's really throwing yourself into your job isn't it? Thank you for your reply! :)
      October 6, 2017 3:45 AM MDT