Active Now

Flint Ironstag
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Why do a lot of American Christians feel persecuted? The question of persecution was brought up in another question and this led me to do a

Why do a lot of American Christians feel persecuted? The question of persecution was brought up in another question and this led me to do a

a little research into the subject, during which I came across this article , which I feel puts it in perspective. 

It amazes me how intellectually nimble people can be with regard to one issue while simultaneously being obtuse with regard to another. The mental gymnastics in which many Evangelicals and Catholics engage in order to convince themselves that they are the real victims of persecution in America are worthy of a gold medal. There is no issue too grim, too new, or too heartbreaking that they will not wholly co-opt for the purposes of convincing themselves that they are, in America, the oppressed minority. Yet they have simultaneously turned off those same cognitive skills with regard to the very real plight of any other group in America because, in their minds, the only persecuted group in America are Christians.

In the recent and horrific racist massacre in Charleston, South Carolina, many Christians began to embrace the narrative that the attack was not race-based but, rather, an attack on religious liberties. But no other issue brings out the faux-martyrs of religion with their streams of crocodile tears moreso than gay marriage. One religious “leader” decried this as the beginning of the “Christian concentration camps” in a video that has now been shared by hundreds of thousands and seen by millions. Apparently, the Christian Persecution Complex (CPC) is good business.

But where it is easy to look past the machinations of the most recent charlatan, it is a bit more difficult to simply walk past the atrociously disingenuous video from the political action group, Catholics Vote, entitled, “Not Alone.” This video is a mockery of the “It Gets Better” video series which came about as the result of the high suicide rates among LBGT+ teens. In “Not Alone,” the actors seek to convey a sincere concern about their ability and freedom to believe in traditional marriages. They try so hard that even their tears become disingenuously laughable. Yet, I suspect, many Christians identify with their “pain.”

And this is where many Christians simultaneously demonstrate a mental agility that borders on genius yet has the intellectual slothfulness of a tapeworm. In the minds of some of our Christian brethren, they have convinced themselves that not being able to force through law their faith onto others who do not wish to willingly abide by it is in itself  a form of persecution.  So the fact that they cannot persecute non-believers to them is persecution. The oppressor can no longer oppress and therefore he believes his is oppressed. This is madness.

It’s not that Christians will have to perform gay weddings or have to get gay married. It’s not that their churches will be burned down or that they will be imprisoned. They won’t lose their jobs and they won’t be followed down the street or be harassed for what they believed. They simply will not be able to impose their beliefs on others nor restrict the secular rights that are conferred onto marriages by our government. It takes a powerfully twisted mind to translate that into the feelings of persecution so intense that it brings them to tears.

Despite seeing faux-persecution in their own lives, they are blind to the realities of the very real persecution of the LGBTQ community here in the United States. This persecution includes the murders of individuals simply because of their sexual orientation and persistent harassment and bullying that has led to the suicides of so many. To Christians suffering from CPC, none of this is real persecution. News flash: Not being able to further persecute gays and lesbians by keeping them from getting the secular rights of marriage is not persecution!

Proselytizing or Control? Convince or Compel?

The fundamental problem that many Christians suffer from is a misunderstanding of the Great Commission. We have been instructed to go unto all of the world and to preach and teach the Gospel. We are sent to convince the world that the Bible is the Word of God and that Christ is the Son of God. We were never instructed to use the force of man’s legal system to control the lives of people who do not willingly want to abide by the Word of God. And so we have an entire generation of political Christians who feel that their faith should be the foundation of secular laws and that everyone else must abide by their moral code. This was never the Great Commission. This erroneous belief is simultaneously un-biblical and unconstitutional.

You’re Embarrassing Us

There is very real persecution of Christians across the globe. In North Korea, Christians can be executed for gathering together for worship. In Iraq, Christians are prey for terrorist groups that kill anyone who does not bow down to their particular version of Islam. In February of 2015, 21 Coptic Christians were beheaded simply because they were Christian. Reports indicate that many of them called on the name of Jesus just before they were viciously murdered. Persecution watchdog group, Open Doors, has identified fifty of the most dangerous places in the world for Christianity in which believers suffer a range of tribulations from “severe” persecution to “sparse” persecution. The United States is not on the list. So for every teary-eyed Evangelical, Catholic, and Protestant who shivers at night because of the impending persecution in the United States — you are not even sparsely persecuted here.

You are embarrassing the faith because it would appear that you can’t even endure what essentially amounts to someone no longer being the popular girl in school. Sure, there was a time when Christianity was the “in” thing. Everyone was a Christian and gays and lesbians were relegated to the hidden corners of our society. Coincidentally, this was the same time when black Americans had to drink from segregated fountains–but I digress. It was an easy time for Christians. Now, however, our faith is no longer the unspoken cultural norm for our broader society. We’ve had to make room for gays and lesbians, agnostics, atheists,  Muslims, and every other belief and lifestyle under the sun. This has made many Christians uncomfortable and I suspect this discomfort equals persecution in their minds. The nerve to equate the two in a world where other Christians are being beheaded for simply loving Christ is asinine!

And this is where the intellectual laziness and/or disingenuousness is best displayed. The reason there is no real persecution of Christians in the United States is because Christians are protected by the same document that protects every other belief, non-belief, religion, faith, identity, race, and sexuality– the same document that now allots to everyone the freedoms that we as Christians generously benefited from in times past: The Constitution. The Constitution allows us to preach the Bible passionately and uninhibitedly to our heart’s content; nevertheless, it also grants people the right to not have to live according to what the Bible says and it also protects the secular rights of everyone, regardless of what we consider to be “traditional.”

This is the only tension with which Christians in America must live. We don’t have to fear for our lives. We don’t have to meet in secrecy for fear of execution. We don’t have to hide our faith in the face of dictators that demand their own worship. All we have to do is live in a society where others are free to live their lives beyond the scope and influence of our faith if they so choose. Yet, this is what so many emotional and teary-eyed Christians call persecution. I call it being spoiled and weak. I call it being “ye of little faith.” And I call it an embarrassment in a world where people are dying for the faith. So, please stop with the Christian Persecution Complex. No longer being “popular” is not persecution. It’s called growing up.

Benjamin Dixon is the host of The Benjamin Dixon Show and author of God is Not a Republican 

Posted - October 6, 2017

Responses

It appears you have more than adequately answered your own question. Bravo. 
    I would summarize my view as they do it because it is the party line.
    The trinity of guilt, shame and fear plays into every function of Christian endeavor. They cannot abide contradiction, threats or lamentation have been their standard prescribed recourse. Now the threats no longer work as they once did, back in the Dark Ages. Crying persecution is whats left when the cause is failing. 
    That over 70% of Americans still identify as Christian of one stripe or another makes this sad claim of persecution as sickening as it is ridiculous, not to mention wildly hypocritical. Not to say there is no persecution at all, you cite NK, but its nowhere near as pervasive as they’d lead us to believ. 
    But then, if they’ll swallow THAT dogma, rational discourse is not a priority. This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 6, 2017 5:12 AM MDT
      October 6, 2017 4:20 AM MDT

Many don't know what real persecution is. Ironically, the Catholic Church feels it is the most persecuted. 
    Catholic Encyclopedia)
    https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11703a.htm
    But most deplorable of all persecutions have been those that Catholicism has suffered from other Christians.
    https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11703a.htm

As far as physical persecution, I don't think that JW's have been overly physically persecuted in the U.S. since the 1940's? The lynchings, tar and featherings, getting run out of town and such were usually at the instigation of the Clergy. Many Countries at one time or another have had similar experiences. Through supreme court decisions, JW's have set the ground work for freedoms for religions, minorities and other persecuted people, at least in the U.S. and Canada.
      October 6, 2017 4:42 AM MDT

'Through supreme court decisions,' aren't you lucky that you live under a secular government? A secular government that you will not honor, even when it is saving your butt!!!!
      October 6, 2017 5:16 AM MDT

Very judgmental of you. How do you know I do not honor the government? I am not out there protesting and burning cars every time there is a president or law that I don't agree with. I pay my taxes. I respect the right of every individual to follow his conscience. I follow all laws they have now. If a government tells me to worship them, I will not do that. If a government tells me that I need to go kill people over some alleged difference, political, religious, property dispute, etc, I will not do that. Would you?

If you lived in Germany in the 1930s-40s would you have Heiled Hitler and killed Jews, Poles, JW's, Homosexuals, Handicapped, etc?
    Okay, for you, scratch the JW's but would you have followed the command of your fuhrer on the rest?
      October 6, 2017 5:42 AM MDT

There is a hell of a difference between paying your taxes obeying the law and standing up for your country. Yes I have have served my country on active service in conflicts. No I would not serve Hitler if I was aware of what was happening with the camps etc. but how many did? Okay I know it was not the JW's that legitimized his rule in Germany but he could not have gained legitimacy without the vote of the Vatican controlled Centre party (Zentrum). Just gotta love that good ol religion.
      October 6, 2017 6:18 AM MDT

I sure respect your right to kill and die for your beliefs and/or national pride. Many in my family have done the same. Who were the bad people that your Country was in conflict with? Do they perceive that you are the bad person and that they to are standing up for their Country?

EDIT: The Catholic Church originally lobbied against the NAZI party and had their own Catholic Centre Party (Or something like that) but when they disbanned and signed a concordant with the NAZI's after they lost the vote. (Something like that from what I remember from research in the past) This post was edited by texasescimo at October 6, 2017 7:10 AM MDT
      October 6, 2017 6:42 AM MDT

Well my first one was actually in my own country, standing between two Christian cults hell bent on killing each other, the second was in the Falklands (an area  where the population wished to remain British) evicting an invading army, the third was helping your lot get Kuwait back, so I think in general at least two of them were not standing up for their country, they were trying to take some other poor bastards country, simply because they were bigger and could.

I suggest that you read and digest the following link, in order to get a true perspective of just how involved the Vatican were with fascist governments (it is rather long but all facts mentioned in it check out), in fact I wonder was that the price they willingly paid to have the Vatican become a country by way of getting into bed with Benito Mussolini?

https://www.emperors-clothes.com/vatican/cpix.htm
      October 6, 2017 7:12 AM MDT

Do you believe in the causes you were willing to kill for? Which two 'Christian cults' were you standing between? Did you fight against both or just one?

Were the Falklands always British? If not,if you had been alive at a different time, would you have fought against the British when they originally invaded the Falklands?

I was a bit puzzled about how fast troops were sent to defend Kuwait but then later Bosnia and Rwanda seemed to linger a bit through their atrocious crisis. 

I am aware of that link. Here's some more that I compiled some years ago when on Answerbag:
    Although I don't agree with everything in the following websites, the pictures speak volumes as to what happens when people think that God wants them to kill(Jn 16:2):

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005206 - German Churches and the Nazi State
    https://www.nobeliefs.com/nazis.htm - Photos of clergy with Nazi’s
    https://www2.dsu.nodak.edu/users/dmeier/Holocaust/hitler.html
    Nazi Supporters
    The Nazis won their support primarily from the lower middle class and the peasantry. These voters were strongly nationalistic in their political views and feared that the depression would deprive them of their standard of living. In religion, most of the Nazis' supporters were Protestants. German Catholics remained firm in their support of the Catholic Center Party.
    https://www.religioustolerance.org/curr_war.htm - Religiously-based civil unrest and warfare
    https://www.jesusneverexisted.com/1000years.htm - 1000 years of carnage and barbarity in the name of Christ
    https://emperors-clothes.com/vatican/cpix.htm - photos of clergy with Hitler as well as photos of forced conversions
    https://www.youtube.com/v/jgiPJttZmnI&hl=en&fs=1& - clergy fighting over the holy sepulcher In Jerusalem 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_Nazi_Germany

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/pope-pius-xii-and-the-holocaust

Politics Behind the Policy

Historians point out that any support the Pope did give the Jews came after 1942, once U.S. officials told him that the allies wanted total victory, and it became likely that they would get it. Furthering the notion that any intervention by Pius XII was based on practical advantage rather than moral inclination is the fact that in late 1942, Pius XII began to advise the German and Hungarian bishops that it would be to their ultimate political advantage to go on record as speaking out against the massacre of the Jews. (27)

October 6, 2017 7:31 AM MDT

Catholics and protestants were the two warring cults and my job was to stop both of them from doing so. I do not give a shit who the islands belonged to hundreds of years ago but the living people there were attacked by an army in my time, had diplomatic avenues been taken then perhaps I would not have needed to go there.

There was no need to rush into Bosnia and Rwanda as that was just christians doing another bit of ethnic cleansing, sort of domestic housework, a horrible job but someone's got to do it. Just gotta love that ol religion.
      October 6, 2017 4:29 PM MDT

Quotes: [Catholics and protestants were the two warring cults and my job was to stop both of them from doing so.]
    [There was no need to rush into Bosnia and Rwanda as that was just christians doing another bit of ethnic cleansing, sort of domestic housework, a horrible job but someone's got to do it]

So you were just doing as you told in the war between Catholics and Protestants, fighting for a cause you didn't agree with? Or did you actually care about them at that time even though you don't share their beliefs and then later figured it was a good thing for Christians killing each other and others?

In your work in Kuwait, was it because you have a special fondness for Muslims or again, were you fighting for a cause you didn't believe in?

Interesting that the wars involved religious people but only the one with oil was given attention.

Quote: [I do not give a shit who the islands belonged to hundreds of years ago but the living people there were attacked by an army in my time]
    So your Country right or wrong? Don't matter how they got it as long as your side has it now?
      October 6, 2017 5:06 PM MDT

While I do not see why you are so interested in my military past, I will answer your questions, it is the same answer for all of them, I was employed by my government in these cases to uphold/enforce the rule of law, both national and international law. 

With your, 'So your Country right or wrong? Don't matter how they got it as long as your side has it now,' I would ask you how the native American people are getting on but I forgot, that has nothing to do with you, you are just happy to live there under the protection of a secular government's laws while doing nothing in return other than obeying those laws, laws set up to protect you, that reminds me somewhat of a parasite.
      October 6, 2017 5:52 PM MDT

I'mam well aware of how the native American people lost their land. I am well aware that any feeble attempts I could make to fix it myself or any other man is futile. I know why bad things happen and I know what it going to fix it.

Do you consider yourself some sort of hero or something for being willing to force people from other Countries other than yours to comply with your rules and beliefs? Do you think that you could run into with someone with your same standards from an opposing Country? Try to kill each other? 

There are other ways to help people rather than just by forcing them to comply with your standards at gun point.
      October 6, 2017 6:00 PM MDT

No I do not consider myself, nor have I ever considered myself, to be any kind of hero. Look we all live on this little spec of dust, would you suggest that it is a good idea to just stand back and let the stronger country/religion take over the weaker country/ religion (if that were the case then you would be well and truly fcuked), or do you feel it right that some kind of governing body such as the UN  (unlike your governing body who talks directly with the sky fairy) should attempt to diminish the number of wars and the suffering caused by them?
    You say that there are other ways to ' help people rather than just by forcing them to comply with your standards at gun point', this is true, we could always disfellowship them and never speak to them again until such times as they 'comply with your standards'. Good luck with that one when the next Hitler or Sadam comes along, do you really think that sending your opponent/enemy 'to Coventry' is ever going to solve anything?
      October 6, 2017 7:27 PM MDT

Ps.  Or did you actually care about them at that time even though you don't share their beliefs and then later figured it was a good thing for Christians killing each other and others? Are you I wonder completely insane, where have I ever said that people killing people (regardless of religion or lack of religion) is a good thing???????? Projection again on YOUR part.
      October 6, 2017 5:57 PM MDT

Quote: [
    Ps.  Or did you actually care about them at that time even though you don't share their beliefs and then later figured it was a good thing for Christians killing each other and others? Are you I wonder completely insane, where have I ever said that people killing people (regardless of religion or lack of religion) is a good thing???????? Projection again on YOUR part.]

Quote: [There was no need to rush into Bosnia and Rwanda as that was just christians doing another bit of ethnic cleansing, sort of domestic housework, a horrible job but someone's got to do it. Just gotta love that ol religion.]
    October 6, 2017 3:29 PM PDT

Looks to me like you were pleased at ethnic cleansing as 'christians' were involved.
      October 6, 2017 6:05 PM MDT

You love the word context, so let me throw it back at you, here the context is that it was mainly  christian countries (countries where the majority are christian) who finally stepped in to help stop the slaughter but that was only after the housework had been done, hence the no hurry policy. It was only after the secular UN intervened that the slaughter was halted. Just gotta love that ol religion.
      October 6, 2017 6:18 PM MDT

That's a bit different than  [There was no need to rush into Bosnia and Rwanda as that was just christians doing another bit of ethnic cleansing, sort of domestic housework, a horrible job but someone's got to do it. Just gotta love that ol religion.]

You didn't notice a difference in response time to those conflicts compared to the response time to the conflict in Kuwait?
      October 6, 2017 7:00 PM MDT

• I think this sums it up right here:

"they have convinced themselves that not being able to force through law their faith onto others who do not wish to willingly abide by it is in itself  a form of persecution."

Christians used to have a monopoly on morality and on society in general in the United States, despite the guarantees of religious freedom. They no longer have this. And to some, it is threatening and a form of persecution. It's incredibly disingenuous.

Persecution is also an inherent part of the Christian narrative. Many modern Christians feel they must be persecuted because Jesus and the early Christians were. But it completely undermines real persecution against Christians, as experienced in places like Egypt and Sudan.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 6, 2017 4:13 PM MDT
      October 6, 2017 10:14 AM MDT

100% with you on that.
      October 6, 2017 4:37 PM MDT

• They aren't free to use the system to persecute others anymore.

October 6, 2017 3:01 PM MDT

Agreed.
      October 6, 2017 4:37 PM MDT

• Unfortunately while the world is moving past one persecuting archaic belief system from the middle east that cries about being persecuted, a new one is starting to replace it.
      October 6, 2017 4:39 PM MDT

Religion has done more to divide people than politics and language combined have.
      October 6, 2017 4:47 PM MDT

• Well language anyway. Politics about the same,  really if you look at objectively, politics and religion are basically one in the same and equally destructive and designed to divide.
      October 6, 2017 4:49 PM MDT