Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Does God not believe in miracles? Why does it take a 'sugar plll' to effectively enable a miracle cure?

Does God not believe in miracles? Why does it take a 'sugar plll' to effectively enable a miracle cure?

www.google.ca/amp/s/www.Forbes.com/sites/robasghar/2915/09/16//the-shocking-power-of-the-sugar-pill-why-miracles-really-are-all-in-your-head/amp/

Posted - October 7, 2017

Responses

Placebo is not about god, it is about the power of suggestion :)
      October 7, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

Invisible power -of the mind. 
      October 7, 2017 4:20 PM MDT

• "Perhaps the healing powers of the human body work better when you have faith in them."  The "sugar pill" gives you that faith.
      October 7, 2017 4:12 PM MDT

Faith in an invisible power -the mind- that occurs as a natural force; not supernatural God force.
      October 7, 2017 4:19 PM MDT

Some consider Faith to be a theological virtue as well as a "natural force."
      October 7, 2017 5:30 PM MDT

And others consider it to be neither.
      October 7, 2017 5:35 PM MDT

Mind over matter, your mind over your matter.
      October 7, 2017 4:21 PM MDT

Nothing to do with healing 'miracles' but I found this amusing.

In a small Texas town, (Mt. Vernon) Drummond’s bar began construction on a new building to increase their business.. The local Baptist church started a campaign to block the bar from opening with petitions and prayers. Work progressed right up till the week before opening when lightning struck the bar and it burned to the ground. The church folks were rather smug in their outlook after that, until the bar owner sued the church on the grounds that the church was ultimately responsible for the demise of his building, either through direct or indirect actions or means. The church vehemently denied all responsibility or any connection to the building’s demise in its reply to the court. As the case made its way into court, the judge looked over the paperwork. At the hearing he commented, ‘I don’t know how I’m going to decide this, but as it appears from the paperwork, we have a bar owner who believes in the power of prayer, and an entire church congregation that does not .
      October 7, 2017 4:30 PM MDT

Possibly an oversimplification, but learning how to pray and learning what to ask for is a skill learned over time and through practice.  It's all about know what to ask for and how to phrase it.  It's not a game, it just requires precision.
      October 7, 2017 5:33 PM MDT

Until you can prove that statement it remains nothing more than pie in the sky.
      October 7, 2017 5:37 PM MDT

Well, of course it would be "pie in the sky" for you.

A buddy of mine and I once  fished for about 3 hours about 100 feet from a boat launch.  We watched probably 10-15 boats launch and then head a high speed to the two upper forks of the lake to fish.  My buddy and I had a system---one of us would fish and the other would release what the other caught---always keeping our boat at anchor between the fish and the launch ramp.

We ran into a few of those fishermen later that day and they had not been satisfied at all with their catch.

We made a few non-committal comments about our luck that day.  Had we told the truth, we couldn't prove it.

Besides, it was only a 450 acre lake---we didn't want it to be fished out.

What you call "pie in the sky" is a great source of nourishment to those of us who have tasted it.

Unfortunately for you, in my opinion, to you it remains "pie in the sky."

Ain't free will wonderful....

This post was edited by tom jackson at October 7, 2017 6:26 PM MDT
      October 7, 2017 5:59 PM MDT

Is that a long winded way of saying that you have no proof and that we should simply take your word as to the validity of your statement? 
      October 7, 2017 6:12 PM MDT

Where even did you get the impression that I need to supply proof?  I am telling you what I have found to be true. I am not trying to convince you of what I think to be true.  

And since you need to arrive at the existence of God and the role of the Catholic Church freely and by your own hand, your obligation is to satisfy your own need for proof.

But I'm guessing that if you don't get knocked off your horse, you are unlikely to recognize it the way you are going.
      October 9, 2017 1:07 PM MDT

Some people need something to have faith in. 
      October 7, 2017 4:50 PM MDT

Why?
      October 7, 2017 5:38 PM MDT

When faith can be reasonably established then miracles can happen.  Some time ago was a news story about a woman lifting about 1500 pounds of a car to help free her child pinned underneath. 
    'The invisible force within us.that can become activated when suitably inspired.  This post was edited by Kittigate at October 7, 2017 6:07 PM MDT
      October 7, 2017 5:50 PM MDT

Yes, if our faith in healing is strong enough we don't need anything to improve it. But some up us need something physical to help sure up thst faith.
      October 7, 2017 6:08 PM MDT

Like another person perhaps. 
      October 7, 2017 11:37 PM MDT

Yes could be a person, a pill, a food, a drink,  etc.
      October 8, 2017 6:53 AM MDT

...people more believing in physical things rather than
    believing in themselves.
    Infinite power within,
    but people trust that which is
    outside of themselves more.
         Internal Believe is awesome
    especially when directed to
    understanding that infinite power within.
    so...people take a placebo believing 
    on the placebo to heal that which is within.
    Believing the placebo and acknowledging the healing directed within.
    in a round about way believing is directed within through
    the placebo, so an effect can take place.

October 7, 2017 4:53 PM MDT

You paint a picture of a powerless infinite power within us that is only released when we knowingly ingest that sugar pill.

Sounds like you're on board with the concept of "free will."  Yes?  No?
      October 7, 2017 5:39 PM MDT

I would rather prefer that over an irresponsible infinite power.
      October 7, 2017 5:41 PM MDT

The problem is that no one has sufficient information to come to the conclusion that he is irresponsible.

If He exists and is in control of our iortal existence as well as the immortal, you are obviously missing a large part of the puzzle. This post was edited by tom jackson at October 8, 2017 12:13 PM MDT
      October 8, 2017 12:01 PM MDT

That is true. And it is equally true that if he do not exist you are looking at random things and calling it a puzzle.
    Belief is belief, and free for anyone to hold or discard
      October 8, 2017 1:29 PM MDT