Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Do you admire folks who flee from an internet social site because they cahn't bear some folks there or the ones who hang in /ignore? Why?

Do you admire folks who flee from an internet social site because they cahn't bear some folks there or the ones who hang in /ignore? Why?

Posted - October 8, 2017

Responses

I don't think there is anything wrong with leaving a site if another member is determined to suck all the fun out of it for others  After all, most of us are here for a friendly exchange of ideas and when it stops being fun, then it's time to leave. Some are clearly here to push their own agenda rather than be part of, and follow the social norms of, the community and forget that this site wasn't designed just for their own personal pleasure. Hanging in/ignoring is more trouble than its worth for some and for others it's no big deal. So, IMO, there's nothing to admire and nothing to criticize. Either way is just normal behavior. 
      October 8, 2017 10:42 AM MDT

I can certainly think of a particular person I would appreciate seeing leave this site . . .

October 8, 2017 11:15 AM MDT

The ones who stay are pretty good at setting boundaries that allow them to avoid other members that either intend to be or inadvertently become insufferable in their comments or questions.

Life is full of both types of people.  We can handle them just as effectively when we come across them on the internet or in real life.

"Real intimacy is rarely polite."

I'm here, but I would not characterize myself as hanging in; and I skip questions that don't interest me---I don't actually ignore them. 
      October 8, 2017 12:36 PM MDT

((hugs)) EXACTAMUNDO! You don't like a question? Ignore the dam* thing. Don't waste time browbeating the questioner. Move on. I have lost count of the folks who left  Answerbag because they didn't get along with some of the members. Answermug too I suppose though I don't personally know of anyone who left. Of course I don't really pay attention. I really don't understand how you can let anyone drive you away from anything. I think that is quite ridiculous when all you have to do is AVOID IGNORE and not engage. What could be simpler than that? SIGH! Of course you set boundaries of what you will accept and what you won't. Each of us is in COMPLETE control of what we  say, with whom we interact and whom we ignore. No one abrogates that right/responsibility. So running away from someone rather than simply ignoring him/her makes no sense to me. Different strokes.  Again! Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Monday tom. :)  "Real intimacy is rarely polite". I'm not quite sure I understand your intent here. I have NEVER been really intimate figuratively with anyone on an internet social site. Well, I am an open book and I do say what I think but to me intimacy is reserved for family/friends. It wouldn't happen for me here and it didn't on Answerbag either. I do share personal stuff with folks with whom I feel "safe" of course.  Maybe "intimacy" means something different to you than it does me. This post was edited by RosieG at October 9, 2017 12:51 PM MDT
      October 9, 2017 2:43 AM MDT

Intimacy in the sense of getting close to a person's core beliefs. And when you get close enough (equivalent to within that 18" of personal space we all unconsciously maintain) you are going to get more intense reactions.
      October 9, 2017 12:51 PM MDT

Plus or minus. Positive or negative. Yes that's true. At that point people either know for sure they dislike the person or they bond. Been there done that! Thank you for your reply tom and Happy Tuesday! :)
      October 10, 2017 2:06 AM MDT

depends on why they left
      October 8, 2017 2:52 PM MDT

What does "cahn't" mean?  Is that the Vietnamese translation of "can't"?

First rule of writing: never fall in love with your first draft. 
    Second rule of writing: proofread your own work. 
    Third rule of writing: edit your work and correct your mistakes before publishing the final draft. 

Never be too big to admit you've made a mistake or to fix it. 

:(
      October 8, 2017 6:10 PM MDT

Randy - you should know by now that Rosie uses language deliberately and creatively. My take on the use of cahn't is that she is indicating an upper class accent in order to mock members who leave the site because the barrage of vitriol that they encounter each morning is not to their liking. You may not have realized that her 'questions' are often biased. In this case she is looking for validation that the way she views and uses answerMug is appropriate. I wonder if she thinks her behavior would be appropriate in the outside world?
      October 10, 2017 3:44 AM MDT

I see!  (Said with the thickest of British accents.) One mustn't mix with the riff-raff, mustn't one?  Harumpf!

Just joking, folks. People who know how to laugh at and poke fun at themselves may understand. 

:)
      October 10, 2017 6:49 AM MDT