Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » I just heard on the news about a passenger on Delta flight.

I just heard on the news about a passenger on Delta flight.

Apparently the passengers were told to be seated while a soldier's remains were loaded on to the plane. One of the passengers, a renouned physician, wanted to sing the National Anthem out of respect for the fallen soldier. She was told by the crew she wasn't allowed to do that. She complied with the staff but was so upset that she caved to the pressure that after she landed she recorded a video and  posted it on social media and it went viral. What do you think about that?

Posted - October 17, 2017

Responses

"I just felt like singing...

October 17, 2017 8:34 PM MDT

Methink I like to keep my travel and my politics separate and wish the crew and airline would do so too. Further perhaps it was not the selection that was the problem but the performance and/or rule no singing allowed. This post was edited by O-uknow at October 18, 2017 7:30 AM MDT
      October 17, 2017 9:14 PM MDT

It's a very common occurrence for the public to honor soldiers (dead or alive) by singing or clapping.  It's respect.  If that offends anyone on an American airline then they should be told they can just deal with it.  If I was on a Japanese flight I would expect to just be quiet during such an episode but would not try to have it stopped because I was offended.   This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 18, 2017 1:31 PM MDT
      October 18, 2017 3:55 AM MDT

Easier to make a rule of no singing than to screen each and every selection. Eventually that is what would be required to do. I still rather have the crew focus on getting passengers to their destinations safely.
      October 18, 2017 6:36 AM MDT

The singing was before the flight.  It was a ridiculous thing to quash it.  I had already taken Delta off the fly list.  Of course I hate to fly and hope I never have to again.  But, the last time I flew Delta I was surprised at how sloppy looking the flight crew was.  Their clothes looked like they needed to be ironed.  I remember when those people were professionals.  My neighbor is a flight attendant with American Air.  She always looks very well put together.  
      October 18, 2017 11:17 AM MDT

I wholeheartedly agree. What would it hurt to show respect for a fallen soldier. Nothing in my opinion.
      October 18, 2017 1:34 PM MDT

I think it has more to do with honoring the fallen soldier and all the sacrifices he and all soldiers make, and less about politics. It was merely out of respect IMO. 
      October 19, 2017 12:42 PM MDT

some things just happen...
      October 18, 2017 12:54 AM MDT

I think the airline(s) have caved to political correctness.  If the passengers' singing did not cause an unsafe condition for the plane and other passengers, why stop them.  It's bullshid.
      October 18, 2017 3:53 AM MDT

I think we've stretched political correctness far beyond its limits. 
      October 19, 2017 12:43 PM MDT