Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » I know drugs have side effects. What makes some drugs ADDICTIVE and some drugs not? Is addiction a side effect that can be eliminated? How?

I know drugs have side effects. What makes some drugs ADDICTIVE and some drugs not? Is addiction a side effect that can be eliminated? How?

Posted - October 18, 2017

Responses

Everything is addictive. 
      October 18, 2017 4:26 AM MDT

Proof please.
      October 19, 2017 4:10 AM MDT

Some drugs are addictive because they  act on the brain’s natural reward circuitry increasing the release of the chemical dopamine. Dopamine release occurs after pleasurable experiences, for example after food or sex, but can also be induced by some drugs. Drugs that artificially increase dopamine release in this way may cause craving for more. Some people may have a genetic tendency to make them develop drug addictions extremely rapidly

I wouldn't say that addiction is a side effect. For me the side effects are like depression, confusion, memory loss... while addiction is more feeling that you have to use the drug regularly, doing whatever it takes to get the drug...

From what i know, eliminating drug addiction is not with other drugs and more with therapy.

October 18, 2017 6:02 AM MDT

Thank you for a thoughtful, helpful and informative reply marisa. I appreciate it. It just seems like a vicious cycle. Pain is intolerable so you take meds to mitigate the pain. After the pain is gone you're addicted. That's a terrible tradeoff. I don't think that should be the price you have to pay.
      October 19, 2017 4:12 AM MDT

We must classify drugs  as those prescribed by health professionals, including those taken without the proper prescriptions. Drugs if taken in accordance to the proper dosages are meant to heal the  health problems. Once in excess, they totally ruin drugs takers. Addiction is a side effect, because it is no  longer proper mindset which prevails in the process. It can be eliminated by many ways through the help of some health professionals, family members, relatives, friends and the persons affected by addiction. To start off, the persons affected should make assessments on the causes and effects of   drug addiction. If with proper mindset, they can solely solve their own dilemmas. If not self-reliant, they should seek professional guidance from those experts in their field of mental health  issues, among others. 
      October 18, 2017 6:54 AM MDT

I had a scary experience with drug addiction many years ago when I had a weight problem. I was given prescribed drugs from my doctor to help me lose weight. They were amphetamines which, at the time, meant nothing to me. After I lost the weight and the doc wanted me to stop taking them I told him I liked the energy they gave me. After a long tough day at work I could go home and clean the house and still feel energetic. Of course that was exactly the wrong thing to say. That meant I was addicted and he had to wean me off them. I hated knowing that I was addicted to anything. Now? I avoid taking pills period. If I am in AGONY I might take one . But I'm scared of being in control of something without my consent. Once burned twice shy. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply Blessedwoman and Happy Thursday.
      October 19, 2017 4:17 AM MDT

your doctor didn't suggest to decrease the dosage slowly? because some drugs, if that's not done have even worst effects. 

Did you ever tried something alternative? like acupuncture? I know some people say that doesn't work, but for me it helped. I started having neck pains when i was 11 yo and until now (i'm 21) i sill have them. The doctors are not sure of what I have but they gave me strong stuff, especially for a kid, and i would get dependent on it since this is chronic. So my mom took me to several doctors, and one of them (that i still go from time to time) does acupuncture and does chiropractic, helped with the pain. It didn't cure my problem but i am better now, plus i don't take any drugs now. ( he also said that alternative medicine helps to deal with weight loss)
      October 19, 2017 5:42 AM MDT

Nope. I had to do it cold turkey and it took a couple of weeks. It was a miserable experience Kicking an addictive habits is physically painful and very enervating.. But I did it! I tried acupuncture for my back years ago. The first session was very uncomfortable. The second session was so painful I stopped the guy. I never tried it again. I guess it works for some folks. I am not one of them. Same thing with a chiropractor.  Only it does feel good short-term but then you go right back to having the same problem. So if you go frequently and it helps that's good but it will never be cured will it? I haven't had a weight problem since I was in my mid-30's. I am almost 80 and slender. Thank you for your reply. I'm 5' 6" and weigh anywhere from 118-120. I don't have to try. I guess my body just stabilized years ago.
      October 19, 2017 8:11 AM MDT

you're right! the pain comes back but since i was going to the doctor like, every 2 weeks or so, i started to see results. Now i only go when the winter comes, that's when it strikes the most.

Congratulations on leaving the drugs!

October 19, 2017 8:20 AM MDT