Active Now

Slartibartfast
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Military » Did you appreciate the excruciating detail of what happens to the bodies of the dead as provided by General Kelly? Are you happier knowing?

Did you appreciate the excruciating detail of what happens to the bodies of the dead as provided by General Kelly? Are you happier knowing?

Posted - October 20, 2017

Responses

I knew about some of it, but not all.  I believe he was that specific to bring out the point that a soldier is treated with respect from the time he is removed from the battlefield until he returns home and then there is ongoing care for the family. 
      October 20, 2017 7:17 AM MDT

I wasn't sure what his motive was for telling us that. He repeated that the body is put in ice... twice. Once from one place to the next and then again from that place to its final destination. I dunno Spunky. He was angry about his son being used for political reasons. Trump is the one who did that. No one else brought it up. He lashed out at the Congresswoman who reported what she had heard. The  bereaved widow was not comforted hearing those words. Yes. We all know that the military is made up of VOLUNTEERS. They are aware of the potential for death but I seriously doubt that is what motivates them to join. You can tell someone "he died doing what he loved". That is a little different than saying "he knew what he  was getting into when he signed up". I was surprised at the anger directed at the Congresswoman. Kelly appeared to be defending his boss.  But he took several swipes at him when he mentioned that women used to be sacred and treated with respect and are no longer treated that way. We all know what Trump thinks about women. But Kelly disrespected the Congresswoman in my opinion. Does he even realize that? He also said serving your country selflessly is no longer a requirement . Trump hasn't served his country in any way. He has disserved it. And as for being selfless Trump doesn't know the meaning of the word. Kelly spoke about Gold Star families. His is one of them. Trump attacked a Gold Star family viciously during the campaign. I don't know whether his goal was to rebuke Trump in that indirect way or to defend him. Mixed messages are not my favorite thing.  So now I know about dead bodies on ice twice. I could have done without learning about that detail. I'm left wishing Kelly had just let Trump sink on his own and not try to save him. From my perspective he lowered himself a bit. Thank you for your reply Spunky! :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 20, 2017 3:58 PM MDT
      October 20, 2017 7:55 AM MDT

I can understand why you might be upset at the extreme description of what happens to a fallen soldier.  I was not repelled by it, but I can understand why others might be.  Unfortunately, if Gen. Kelly was taking a swipe at Trump those few times, I would bet it went right over Trump's head.  I don't like mixed messages either, but I realize that Kelly could not possibly have come out and said what he may have honestly thought.  Yes, the person who politicized the death of Gen. Kelly's son was Trump and he had no business bringing that up.  I can imagine how displeased Kelly would have been at that.  Much as you, I believe Trump is a despicable person who thinks of no one but himself.  We both know that when Trump is off leash and off script, he has a tendency to put both feet in his mouth and before you know it, a mole hill becomes a mountain.  I'm surprised that Kelly didn't do a little more due diligence about this Congresswoman and his claim that she originated funding for that project before she was even in office.  Every time Kelly comes out and tries to defend Trump, I lose a little more respect for him.  Happy Friday. :)
      October 20, 2017 4:06 PM MDT

I saw/heard the entire speech that Congresswoman Wilson made in 2015. It was run in its entirety on a cable news show on MSNBC. It was nothing at all like Kelly described it. So he LIED. He also called her an empty barrel or something. Now she is a black woman. Women of color seem to  make Trump and his gang particularly incensed because he goes after them viciously. Sadly Kelly is now tainted with Trumpism and ever so shall he remain. There are no adults in the White House Day Care Center . And Sarah Sanders had the nerve to tell a reporter that a 4-star Marine general should not be questioned! Who the he** does she think she is? They are all a bunch of liars and hypocrites. I expect to survive in Trumpworld that is a given. Will Kelly apologize to the woman he so viciously impugned? He dare not because Trump will make him pay for it. Trump never apologizes. When he is caught in a lie he doubles down. I expect Kelly will  either ignore his enormous lie or double down and attack her some more. I can hardly wait!  :( Thank you for your reply Spunky and Happy Saturday!  :)
      October 21, 2017 2:22 AM MDT

It is clear that Wilson did not make the statements that Kelly is attributing to her and he does need to apologize to her.  Of course, he can't do that and she will milk this for all she can.  Now that Kelly has started down the slippery slope of lying for his boss, there's no telling where it will end and to be honest, any respect for Kelly that I once had has all but disappeared.  Happy Saturday. :)
      October 21, 2017 10:31 AM MDT

Ditto. The person I thought he was he isn't. He came across just like every other Trump toady. I have to admit I was very surprised at that. You can't judge a book by its cover! Thank you for your reply  Spunky and Happy Sunday.  We never know the true quality of a person until he/she is tested. Kelly was tested and found wanting. Let's see if he ignores what he did, doubles down on his attacks as Trump does or has the courage to apologize and apologize PROFUSELY. I won't hold my breath. :(
      October 22, 2017 2:05 AM MDT

Kelly has been smart, up until now, to stay in the background and not appear at news briefings.  He would be wise to continue doing that.  I would not have expected him to act in this manner.  Happy Sunday. :)
      October 22, 2017 8:08 AM MDT

Wait, what?  Aren't you the same person who frequently chastises us for not seeking knowledge about things in general?  Hmmm, curious. Truly curious. 
      October 20, 2017 8:53 AM MDT

The opinions stated above are coincidentally the same as those expressed by MSNBC host Lawrence O'Donnell, who off-camera is just as human as those he critiques as evidenced by this video:

October 20, 2017 10:29 AM MDT