Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Do you genarally use your smartphone, tablet, laptop or computer for social media?

Do you genarally use your smartphone, tablet, laptop or computer for social media?

There is this trend amongst our youth stigmatizing the older and aged population using technology poking fun etc. Where on earth did this come from? I bought my first tower decades ago before my three kids were born. It was a 80286 processor 2mb ram floppy drive and the latest svga CRT monitor all running  windows 3.1. It cost me nearly the cost of my mortgage deposit lol. My father, in his 70's plays COD amongst others on his powerful gaming computer. Now I'm aged 53 approaching old age I realize it was our generation (and even older) that played the major part in today's technology. By the way I bought my kids their fist megadrive, Sega gamegear, gameboy,  laptop, cellphone Wii, xbox, playstation?.
Think I got the wrong end of the deal here lol. If you agree or disagree, optionally state your age to make it more interesting.

Posted - October 25, 2017

Responses

I mostly use my laptop for social media while playing games on my desktop.
      October 25, 2017 8:56 AM MDT

I use a laptop at home and a computer at work.  I don't have an iPhone or iPad or tablet.
      October 25, 2017 10:38 AM MDT

laptop or netbook
      October 25, 2017 4:33 PM MDT

• i almost always use my iphone since i am never home to use my laptop anyway
      October 25, 2017 4:42 PM MDT

I use my laptop. I don't have any of that other stuff. This post was edited by Lulu'sMom at October 26, 2017 12:01 AM MDT
      October 25, 2017 4:59 PM MDT

I use computers for typing and my phone for talking.
      October 25, 2017 5:54 PM MDT

Nowt new in it. The youth of today has always considered the more mature generation to be out-of-date, touch, skill or whatever! "Flint tools eh? That's all last Age! We're all on bronze in my tribe!"

I'm over-60 and didn't touch a computer until late 1989 when a change of employment brought me into contact with a mixture of machines. They included a BBC Acorn, Hewlett-Packard 45s designed primarily (and as we used) for driving lab equipment, and early desk-top things whose monochrome CRT monitor sat on top of the processor box and displayed the MS-DOS command-lines. They were soon supplanted by hefty great colour monitors designed for weight-training and this new-fangled MS WIN 3.1 with its 8-char filename limit. 

My first PC was an Amstrad PCW9512 complete with daisy-wheel printer, using its own operating system and 3" (not 3.5") floppy discs; and intended chiefly for word-processing - my main purpose in buying it, second-hand at that.

All the things we see and/or use now are derivatives of those. The basic principles have not changed, just the physical sizes of the circuits, the display types and the calculating and memory capacities.
      November 16, 2017 5:05 PM MST

Desktop and I do not much care for the constantly changing tech scene much less understand it.  But it has its uses.  Obviously of the "older population" and the "more mature generation".
      November 16, 2017 6:34 PM MST